Do you have or have had a 5 year old in a booster seat?

I just read a question that made me think about this.  My oldest is 5.  He got a booster seat as soon as he met the height and weight requirements.  On the box it didn't give an "end" weight or height where he would need to stop using the booster seat and sit in the seat by himself.  The booster seat doesn't bother him or myself, just making sure that I'm doing the safest thing.  Any thoughts or opinions?

MrsHouston47302

Asked by MrsHouston47302 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• my dd will be 5 in july and she will continue to be in a booster seat until she dosen't fit in one anymore
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My dd is 5, will be 6 in a couple of weeks and is in a booster seat. I think its alright and safe.

Answer by gemgem at 3:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• what state??? here in TEXAS they require booster seats until the age 9 (???) or a certain weight requirment....
    My twins are 7 and they are still in booster seats... I have the ones that you set in the set and it lifts them up to a safe height so that if we were to get into nd accident, they seatbelt could protect them to the fullest potenial!

Also out local fire departments will do FREE checks and instalation to ensure that car seats or booster seats meet the requirments!
    MOMMY2TWINBOYS4

Answer by MOMMY2TWINBOYS4 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Our 7 yr old is still in one, they have to be until they are 4'9 in our state (MO) IIRC..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• mine will be 5 in october and i hadn't planned on discontinuing her booster then or anytime soon. but im so shocked my state doesnt have a mandatory law. she technically doesnt even have to be in a booster seat now, at 4 years old.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• In my state (don't know if it's federal) they have to be 8 or 4 foot 9
    mommy-perks

Answer by mommy-perks at 3:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My gbrandson will be 7 in April. I just put him in a highback booster from a 5 point harness in October. He still fits well in the harness but he can't undo or do it by himself which means he can't get dropped off or picked up in the car riders line. He really wanted to be 'a big kid". If we go on road trips he is back in the 5 point harness. He is barely 49 pounds.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Laws vary by state.....here in NY a child must remain in a booster until the age of 7. You can check your states child restraint laws here: http://www.iihs.org/laws/ChildRestraint.aspx
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Look up your state laws on carseat/booster seat use. Most states have an age requirement for both. FL it is recommended they stay in a booster till they are 9.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2011