Can I give my 6 month old a sippy cup of water?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes! I gave my kids sippy cups when they were 5 mths. If they'll take it go for it!
    marnejones22

Answer by marnejones22 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• depends if they are ready for it...
    one thing to keep in mind is that water is thinner than formula and may come out faster causing a small choking spell ( water going down the wrong pipe) but other than that....wate is great for little ones!!!
    MOMMY2TWINBOYS4

Answer by MOMMY2TWINBOYS4 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• absolutely. Baby will most likely not know how to use it yet, of course, but put a nice absorbent bib or towel underneath and give him some sips of water.
    My daughter had to drink water when she was that young to help her poop. we got a tiny sippy cup and she used to drink from it while I held it. Baby doesn't need a lot, but it'll get her ready to ditch the bottle, if she's using a bottle at the moment.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 3:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My daughter LOVED drinking water out of a sippy at this age. She was getting her teeth and I would put super cold water in a cup that had a tight lid (like the part where they suck from, it was like spill proof) and she would chew on the little nub part and just giggle away. Water was actually one of her first words LOL
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• sure,i give it to my daughter but she cant figure out the whole sippy cup thing!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• yes!!!! water is a great alternative to formula! she wasn't ready for a sippy cup at that age, so we put water in her bottle, until she was ready for one.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Sure, why not. All my kids got sippy cups when they started baby food around 5-6 months. I only ever put water in them at first. My youngest is 6 months and got a sippy for Christmas and loves it. Not sure he knows how to purposefully get the water out but it has the soft spout and he chews on it so the water dribbles out. He seems to like it, though.
    My other 4 kids started with hard spouts and by 8 months or so they could all drink from them without help.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would give it too them at meal time just like you would juice or BM/ Formula. But you don't want them to fill up on it through out the day becasue they needs the calories from their milk. But like all the mmommies said what is great for little ones!
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Great way to get them use to the sippy!! I did this with my daughter and she weened herself off the bottle at a year. She was use to the cup at meal times and such she jsut forgot all about the bottle when we switched to whole milk : )
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2011