Should I take my baby to the doctor?

My 10 month old, has been sneezing, and some coughing, and a very runny snotty nose for about a 8 days, now. He hasn't had a fever at all, he's eating and sleeping well, but this runny, snotty nose just never ends. I don't want to seem like a paranoid mom. Should I take him to the doctor this week, or wait for it to clear up or show worse symptoms?

Canson

Asked by Canson at 6:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Kids' Health

• The main things that look for when deciding if you need the doctor:
    Is there a high fever that you can't control with medication?
    Is the child playing OK? Maybe a little slower and quieter but still playing.
    Is the snot yellow, green or brown? (Colorless or white is OK)
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Personally if it were my son, I wouldn't. I took my son once when he had that and was basically told there was nothing they could do and to bring him back in if things got worse (such as if he developed a high fever). Ever since then I just follow that advice all the time, he's had two colds since then and I just keep him in the house and wipe his nose like crazy lol
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 6:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• the flu is going around with these symptoms. Just keep giving fluids...and keep an eye on his temp. I took my boys nearly 2weeks to get better. hang in there. If you do have that mothers instinct that something bigger is wrong...make that call to the doctors...that is what they are there for. take care.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 6:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• i would watch him - maybe teething because sometimes the teething doesnt bring on fevers just all the other stuff.
    make sure his ears arent getting red inside and if you see green stuffcoming out of his eyes then take him to the Doc immediately cause a runny nose that lasts too long can cause pink eye.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 6:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Personally I would. a couple weeks ago I took my almost 9month old daughter in..because she had a snotty nose..etc for about 5 days. Turned out she had a double ear infection and an eye infection. Never suspected her to be that sick! I always take my kids in if its going on a week. Would rather take them to find out its nothing..then to not take them and it develop into something worse..JMO
    allisonsmommy

Answer by allisonsmommy at 7:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• It sounds like maybe he has developed allergies. They do have allergy med for small children that can help with the stuffy nose. Just use your best judgement!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I agree, it sounds like a cold or allergies...although with the age and the runny nose, it may be teething too. If there isn't a fever, I might just call the pediatrician and see what (if anything) you could give him for a cold.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• it sounds like allergies try changing his sheets every other day and see if helps
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 1:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2008