Has your kid ever got out of the house without you knowing?

april_f

Asked by april_f at 4:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• oh gosh never i always know where my son is at all times... i would freak if he ever did though.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 4:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• No, my kids never even tried that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• no. I have my doors always locked.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 4:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My oldest did when he was 5 years old. Sometime before 5 am when everyone was sleeping, he got up, pushed the ottoman over to the front door to climb on it, unhooked the security bar at the top of the door, unlocked the door, and walked out. Scared the living hell out of me. From that day on, we had double barrel deadbolts and alarms on all the doors. Now you need a key to get out and an alarm will sound when the door opens.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My son got out once but didn't get very far since the alarm system went off as soon as he opened the door. My son's always been a GREAT problem solver so "Child Proof" never applied to him. We have installed a slide chain lock at the top of the basement door and sensor alarms on every door leading outside. So until he figures out how to get past those or tall enough to diable them, I think we're good for a little while.
    MrsLooney

Answer by MrsLooney at 4:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• it has happened to me. my dh was out washing his car and my dd( who was only 3 at the time) wanted to stay outside with him. so i told him to watch her and he agreed. about ten min later he was in the house calling her name. oh i exploded on his ass. i ran outside, my heart was beating so fast. i was yelling for her and no answer i ran to the back yard and she wasn't there. i ran inside and called for her and still no response. my husband comes in and he was yelling at her. she ended up going to our neighbors house wanting to play with there son. when i saw her i broke down and started to cry. it was the worst feeling ever, to think someone might have taken her. from that day forward i never let her stay alone with my dh. even today when he goes to the store and she wants to go i have issues with it. i tell him over and over to keep an eye on her or to put her in the shopping cart.

Christieluv0614

Answer by Christieluv0614 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• once.... I was at a friends house, with another mother. Our kids were 3, 2.5, and 1.5. We thought they were playing in the bedroom and when we stopped to listen for a second there were no noises so we checked every room in the house... no kids. Walked out the front door and all three girls were sitting in the driveway playing with chalk, 2 were in only diapers! This was also Alaska and right after the snow had melted! The doors were locked, yet the 3 yo figured out how to undo the dead bolt, pull off the childproof cover and let them all out. Scariest feeling in the world!!! Of course, my then 1.5 yo learned immediately how to take off those handles and unlock the door so if I don't hear talking for at least 10 seconds I get up and check! If it's quiet, there's trouble!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yes maam they certainly have.  None of my children had ever tried to get out of the house so it wasn't even something I thought about.  One night my then 4 year old son got majorly upset because I was sick and didn't feel up to going to Walmart.  My hub and I agreed that we would go in the morning and he went to work.  About a half hour later I ended up passing out on the floor while I was laying down watching a movie with them.  When I woke up about 20 minutes later, my front door was wide open and my son was gone.  I have 2 other children younger than him, they stayed in the house.  I freaked.  I called the police and my husband.  About 3 minutes after I called 911 the police called me back and said that they had just picked my son up a block away from Walmart.  Luckily a very nice man was out jogging and stopped my son and called the police.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Needless to say, the house is now "get out" proof, lol. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• it happend 11 1/2 yrs ago..i was living in a small apt of the first floor and i was in the kitchen doing dishes and my dd was in the livingroom watching blues clues after a few mins i though gee shes very quiet. so i stop and peek in at her low and behold she was gone. thankfuly my neighbors daughter heard something out back saw my dd and ran down grabed her ( dd was 2. ) and brought her to me. i was horrified what couldve happend..she climbed out the living room window were the screen was broke ( mind u i asked my landlord to fix that already ) so i called my landlord told her what happend and told her if she dosent fix it soon and something bad happends i will come after her with a law suit.. she had matinence fix it with in 2 hours. but no matter what scary as all h***.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2011