Do you feel an obligation to take care of your parents when they grow old?

This stems from another question someone else asked....One of my parents comes from another culture where it is an obligation to take care of your parents, even if you don't particularly "like" them.....I was raised to believe in an obligation to my family and never thought much of it, but I have notice that the majority of people around me do not feel the same obligation....I think it would be a good cultural norm to form in our ever-changing American culture....just wondering what others think...

Anna92464

Asked by Anna92464 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes, I couldn't image not caring for my parents, or anyone else in my family.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• yep, I'm asian, enough said
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Seeing as how my father abused me as a child..I do not think that obligation would be good to impose on others. I certainly wouldn't care for my father...unsure of my mother.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I have always felt that family takes care of family.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I think so..even if you don't get along with them, they DID give you life and took care of you when you couldn't do so yourself. Except in cases where the child was abused by their parents, I see no reason why you wouldn't.
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 4:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I don't feel obligated to do so. I put up with her verbal abuse most of my life. I'm not going to be told that I'm taking care of her the wrong way.
    Will I make sure she is taken care of? Yes, but it won't be me being the caregiver.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I think it is our obligation to take care of our parents, etc. if something happens to one or the other of them, and they can't take care of themselves. It is out of love and respect for one another. They would do it for us.
    Caring1

Answer by Caring1 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I'd say it's an honor, not an obligation. Ask any of us who don't have them around to care for anymore.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• No I dont feel an obligation because my parents taught me early on about how important it is to save for retirement so you are not a burden to your children. They feel that they should not impose on my life since I have built it the way I want to just because they become older. They also felt it was a good way to teach financial independence. It works for us.
    My dhs natural father did come live with us for awhile. It was supposed to be 2 wks, turned into 4 yrs. He didnt want to work until retirement & felt we should take care of him (he had no health problems or anything like that). he has lived on welfare & homeless most of his life & had abandoned dh for 10 yrs. I kindly told him if those were his plans that I would arrange for him to be placed in a home. My dh agreed with me.

Answer by gemgem at 4:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would take care of my Mom but she spends money on a daily basis, shopping. When she feels the urge to spend and knows she is on a budget, she goes to second hand shops. Thinking she is saving money! My younger sister actually promised my Dad she would care for my Mom. So it is still a thought in my mind, but for now it is solved.
    If it came down to it, my Mom's sister owns a home in another state and was invited to move in there, but my Mom won't go because she does not want to let someone else have control over her life.
    In reality I am hoping I am not responsible for my Mom.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 4:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2011