Does seperation Anxiety come back at 3 years old or something????

We are very involved parents but we both work full time and have been pushed by our family more the last year to go out to dinner or a movie every few months so we have maybe 3 times in the past year maybe.. we only have my parents or my sister and niece watch him .. last Saturday we went out to dinner and my sister and niece were going to watch him and he bawled like crazy saying we are leaving him, we won't come back and was almost crying so hard he couldn't breathe.. then this past tuesday I have my first outside of the house activity for ME since he's been born, a yoga class/pilates class.. and he did the same thing and this was while at my moms.. he crys that I won't ever come back...I always reassure him mommys always come back and rarely have left this child in the past 3 years.. not sure why all of a sudden he's doing this....I can't help but to go and bawl my eyes out of guilt..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• do not feel guilty about it he is just use to you being there all the time i had the same problem with my 3yr old n it got even worst when his father took him to VA for week when they came home i could not go anywhere without him right there not even to the bathroom or he would start crying n looking room to room for me but he grew out of it with in a month or so my friend has the same problem only she is with her daughter 24-7 and has nobody to watch her so she can step out
    whitepanther78

Answer by whitepanther78 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Separation anxiety comes and goes a few times during early childhood.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It is normal. Don't feel guilty. Reassure you'll be back, make the transition quick. Kids rarely cry more than a few minutes after the parent leaves. Come back on time. He will get used to it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It is pretty common for young children to be able to deal with daycare or preschool but become extra clingy on the weekends.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:06 AM on Jan. 28, 2011