My husband thinks I should go on anxiety medication dealing with stress of my two boys with ADHD have any of you Mom's gone on it?

Honey408

Asked by Honey408 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm on some but my hubby thinks I should get off of it. I am much better with it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yes. It wasn't for the same reason, but I went on a low dose of Zoloft, and it helped so much!!
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 4:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• More importantly, what do you think? Do you think you need a little help? Are you overwhelmed? Somedays, i think most moms need a little mommy time. IMO don't start something like that unless you really need to. My dh is on effexor and xanex, it helps him a lot, but if he misses a dose, he has awful withdraw symptoms, eve just missing one dose..... It might help if you were able to take an hour or two a day for just you,a bath, shopping, lucn, maybe an early movie with a friend....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I had gone on some meds when I left my first husband. It was hard being a single mother of a disabled child without family around to help and your ex acting like a jerk. I, personally, didn't like how I felt on the meds. I stopped taking them and learned other ways of dealing with stress.
    You need to do what is right for YOU. If you are comfortable with it, try the meds, but only if YOU are comfortable with it. If you find you don't like the meds, look for an alternative with which you are comfortable.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• This is a decision between you and your therapist; your spouse is not part of the equation

Answer by rkoloms at 5:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Sometimes counseling can help just as much. Try that first. I have been on an anti-anxiety pill for 4 years. If I never go off of it then so be it. It is amazing and works great for me. It took me quite a few diff meds till I found what worked for me. I am the same person with the same ups and downs. The only diff is that I am more rational and can keep my cool a little longer. I still get upset, still get mad, still wanna run somedays! lol But I am more balanced. As long as you are on the right med that works for you then you will still be you. If you need it then go for it. Id talk to a psychologist first to see what you should do about your situation. He/she will be able to help you find what works for you. Whether its therapy, a diff home life plan or a medication. Good Luck and PM me if you need to vent/talk or need any further advice!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Do you feel like you are more anxious then you should be? Have you spoken to a doctor about this? Are you thinking of a short term, only take it when you need it med, or an everyday med? Have you had problems with anxiety in the past?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I don't think I need them I work out at the gym my husband thinks it would help me deal with all the stress from my boys they both have ADHD the older one has had for a long time the younger one was just diagonazed with it we are trying to find the right meds for him and he has violent temper tantrums and, trouble in school.
    Honey408

Comment by Honey408 (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It sounds like he doesn't want to deal with your stress. Drugs aren't the first thing you recommended to someone; support, respite, and therapy are.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2011