Do kids lunch thermos's really keep soup hot?

My son wants me to make chicken noodle soup for his lunches but I have never used one of those thermos's. So I got one of those Spiderman Funtainers by Thermos and plan to use it. I am just wondering if they really keep the soup hot or not and what about the other cold stuff like his juice pouch? Will it still stay cold in the same lunchbox as the soup? Then being the worrywart that I am I have to wonder about the safety of the soup after 4 to 5 hrs in that thermos. So I am asking you guys what your opinions are and your own experiences. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Food & Drink

• The cheap cartoon plastic ones don't work as well as the "real" metal ones. But they keep food warm enough for a few hours. If you boil the soup right before you put it in it should still be pretty warm by his lunch time.
    Anonymous

• i remember that they used to leak all over the place when i was a kid. but im sure they have gotten much better now.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• i would use the metal ones. But boil it before..like the anon said.. i use a thermo for my daughters formula water at night instead of a bottle warmer..and its still warm like at 8 am.
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 5:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Experiment. Put hot water in it on Saturday morning and see if its still warm by lunch time. GL!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• If you boil water and let it sit in the thermos container with the lid resting over it (not screwed down) while the soup is heating, then dump the water to replace it with near-boiling soup, it'll still be warm enough to eat at lunchtime.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My spouse, daughter and I all use thermoses; our food stays hot for over six hours.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Pour really hot water in the thermos and close tightly,let sit a few minutes, then heat up the soup, pour out the water and pour in the soup. It will be fine at lunchtime.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• If it will work, which it should unless it stays outside in the cold, you'll need to make sure you pre-heat it. If you put hot food into a cold thermos, it will cool the food right down. Whenever I have sent something with my husband (drink, soup, noodles) it is still nice and hot at lunch time as long as I pre-heat the container.

I pre-heat the containder by putting in a small amount of near-boiling water for ~5 minutes, pouring it out right before I put the hot food in it.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 10:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2011