Sleep in there own room?

Mt DD is four months and I want her in our room for AT LEAST six months. But ppl are telling its important to get them in their own room. How old was your LO when they went in there own room?

Glouii

Asked by Glouii at 5:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• I waited until they were sleeping through the night and hadn't woken up at night for awhile. With my older two that was about 5-6 months. With my 3rd she was sleeping through the night at 5 weeks but I kept her until around 5 1/2 months just to make sure she didn't randomly start waking up again.
    With my 4th she was in our room until 16 months because I had no where else to put her. She was a light sleeper and moving her into her sisters' room wasn't a good idea (they would have repeatedly woke her up with their antics).
    My youngest is 6 months and still sleeps in our room because he doesn't have a crib yet. once he gets one he moves in with his 9yo brother.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It's up to YOU. My son slept with us until about 2 yrs of age. He sleeps in his bed most of the time, but occasionally when he wakes at night, I bring him to our bed. Do what works for your family. They won't be in your room forever, though many people seem to think that if you cosleep, your child will never sleep in their own space.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I think as long as she is in her own bed, transitioning into her own room shouldn't be that difficult. My son was in his own room at about 6 months, that's when he was too big for his bassinet and his pack and play bassinet...( I tried convincing my dh to take the crib apart and bring it in our room but he wouldn't) :).
    My dd was in our room until she was 1. She was never in our bed. We only have 2 rooms upstairs, and I wanted to make sure she was sttn s she wouldn't wake up ds.

I think as long as you are happy, daddy doesn't mind it, and your little one is happy. Why change things? She will be fine if you want to wait until 6 months, or even later.... :) no one knows your baby like you, so do what you feel is best.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My first was 10 months when I moved him to his own room. There were no problems with transition or anything at all, he slept just as well in his own room as he had in mine.

My second is 21 months and still sleeps in my room, mostly because she still nurses at night and it's easier than having to get up and go to a separate room. We also only have a 2-bedroom apartment, so I prefer her in my room rather than in her brother's room, especially since he's such a bear when he doesn't get enough sleep. We're moving into a bigger house soon, though, and she'll get her own room there. I can see the transition being a bit more difficult with her, but it has more to do with personality differences than anything else.

It's all about comfort level, yours/your husband's and your child's. It's nobody else's business where/how your child(ren) sleep unless they're sleeping there, too. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• This is about YOUR family and YOUR comfort level. I personally see nothing wrong with children sleeping in their parents room until they choose to leave be that 1 year or 10 years old as long as the entire family is okay with it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It's up to you, but I think it's easier to do it early. Around 5 or 6 months is when separation anxiety seems to crank up, and I think that can make the transition harder. My oldest was alwys in her own room, and my twins moved to their room at about 3 1/2 months.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Well, ,we NEVER co slept with DD. So she was in her crib from day one, and in her own room by 5 months. And has been ever since.
    Im glad we did it that way. She loves her crib, loves her own room, and has never even wanted to sleep in bed with us. She wants her bed, in her room. So getting her to sleep is really easy for us,
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 7:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My first co-slept with us 2yrs and our second 3yrs; I can't imagine bfing with the baby sleeping in another room. And we're happy we did it that way ;o)

When #1 was 4mo we moved and a friend drove me and ds to the airport. On the way I got to hear that babies MUST be in their own room after a month or the parents never have sex again and the marital relationship will be harmed (he was very religious). I wanted to say "you know what harms the marital relationship? a postpartum woman getting NO SLEEP because her baby WILL NOT SLEEP alone."

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:00 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:01 AM on Jan. 28, 2011