How does one have a brighter outlook on life?

If my life is going good then someone usually says how messed up things are for them. I know they are lying because I see their facebook posts and they go out to places my DH and I can't afford.
But because we own a home some people I know seem to think we have money to lend them.
And when they ask, hint or try to manipulate by verbally wishing my marriage to fail, I feel bad.

idaspida

Asked by idaspida at 5:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• They make choices for their lives.....what they choose to spend their money on, what kind of guys they want to have relationships with, and how they want to live their lives......if they choose things that are momentary, like going out, taking trips, that's what they've chosen to spend their money on.....if you choose security and a home...that's what you've chosen.

You don't owe them anything, try not to let it bother you. Appreciate what you have, and the only people you really owe anything to are your own family.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It's about wanting what you have, not having what you want.

When I was younger, I saw the movie Pollyana. The idea of the "Glad Game" stuck with me. No matter what the situation, I try to find something good in it. Having a positive view of life makes it a much happier one.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Offer to take a friend out for dinner, and just talk and listen to eachother. Sometimes knowing you have good friends and people who care is the best mood-lifter.
    justplainjenni

Answer by justplainjenni at 7:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Wow, I should have thought of that. I will give it a try.
    idaspida

Comment by idaspida (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Some people are jealous of what others have, but should be content with what they have. Just because you have more or less, doesn't make you anymore happier. Life is what you make out of it and people should be content with what they have or can get and quit wishing for someone else's.
    Caring1

Answer by Caring1 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I always try to remember not to worry about what other people think. I agree with above, its wanting what you have. We also own a home and have lost some friends because of what we believe is jealousy but who cares. I love my life and my hubby so who cares what anyone else says or thinks.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2011