how can i get the girl i babysit to stop following everyone around?

i have been babysitting this girl since the summer. she is in the same class at school as my DD. She follows my DD EVERYWHERE she goes or she is just standing and watching me wash dishes or cook. MyDD gets frustrated because Lilly always wants to do the same thing she does and never gives her any time to herself. my 3 yr old DD doesnt even follow them around all the time. they are in kindergarten so they are home tuesday and thursday.....ALWAYS around each other. i need some suggestions onhelping them leave each other alone sometimes. I KNOW I GET TIRED OF PPL FOLLOWING ME AROUND TOO!!! MY SISTER LIVED HERE FOR 4 MONTHS IN MY HOUSE AND I HAD TO RUN HER OFF BECAUSE SHE WAS ALWAYS HERE. GOT ON EACH OTHERS NURVES.
SO WHAT CAN I DO TO KEEP THEM FROM ARGUING AND NOT ANNOY EACH OTHER???????? ITS MAKING ME CRAZY.... THANKS

VDietrich

Asked by VDietrich at 5:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Give her something to do independantly..a task..a chore...a little project..something like that.At the school she may just be seeking the comfort of familiar faces.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Stop watching her if it bothers you that much.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 5:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Does babysitting mean that you are there if anything happens or do you develop activities for the girls and involve them in different things? If you plan the days so that there are things to do and learn from. There will be less time for her to follow your daughter around.
    If it is interfering with your daughter's life and now and seems to be affecting you, it might be time for you to stop babysitting. That might be better for everyone.
    Anonymous

• Yep, I had this problem with one of my boys always wanting to be with his brother. It's normal. And, everyone does need some space. It's a little different because she doesn't live there, so she doesn't really have a place of her own that she can go to. If there's a space you can make for her, someplace for her to keep things that are hers to use, and that maybe she can even go to be alone, that might help. And, I agree with kimberlyinberrea, give her a little project to do alone, help her to occupy herself. She's only 5...or maybe 6, so she may need a little help with that...especially when she's not in her own home.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2011