How should I deal with my parents and their parenting?

I know it's not really my business about how they parent but I'm starting to get worried. I'm 24 and I have a 14 and 12 year old brother and sister. I have been more like a parent than an older sibling. But my little sister (12) came home the other day with 4 zeros in one class! Than, we get the cell phone bill and she has 10,500 text messages in one month! She use to be a straight A student and a really really good kid. She's still a good kid but she won't stay off her stupid phone. I didn't get a cell phone till I left for college and than it was a 200 minute prepaid phone, not a free for all. My parents ask my opinion and I tell them her phone would be gone. She doesn't NEED one!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• continue....

My mom told her that she was no longer allowed to take her phone to school but she still takes it! My little brother even get his phone taken up at school and asked me to go in and get it from the principal. (I pick them up from school). I told him NO, mom or dad needs to talk to the principal and get it back. I wouldn't of given it back. Do I just let them keep doing stuff like this or should I step in and tell them how I feel?
    Anonymous

• You should step in! They need rules and they need to be ENFORCED!! How are they going to feel when you little sister gets held back a grade because she failed her classes? She is going to get more and more out of control the long this continues to happen! Nip it in the bud and get her back on track before she starts high school!!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 4:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I would also take the phone off her as well ,and tell her untill her marks improve then she wont have her phone returned ,she is obviously too distracted by all the texting. it can become an addiction in itself .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 4:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• op here- I already think she's addicted. I tell her to give me her phone and she just yells "You can't tell me what to do!". My mom and dad won't do anything. To make it worse my dad is a high school teacher. You would think he would be really mad. I wouldn't even let them take them to school period. As soon as she gets into my car she has it out and is texting people she had just seen!!!! I just don't get it and her grades are showing that she doesn't get it either!
    Anonymous

• You can tell them what you think, but if you "step in" and try to be a parent, you'll just get resentment from both your siblings as well as your parents. But that cell phone needs to be taken AWAY!!! They don't mind the thousand dollar phone bill??
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:27 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• They aren't your kids... You can talk to your parents but really it's not your place to step in... You don't have to like how they are parenting... They need to step up and for what ever reason they aren't. SO talk to them. But you have no business trying to be a parent to your siblings!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Your concern is sincere. You're much older and you feel the 'need' to see your sis succeed; which is a wonderful thing. Sit down with your mom and explain how 'you' feel. First. Then have your sister, along with your mom and yourself sit down and chat. We used to have weekly (one night) usually at dinner a session that you could 'vent' about anything that's buggin' you. It worked great because we talked and found solutions..not always, but most times. KUDOS to you for even caring!
    OMGIAMGOINGNUTS

Answer by OMGIAMGOINGNUTS at 10:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2008