How cold is too cold to keep your house while you are home?

WE haev been keeping it at 61 at night and 64-66 during the day. Is it unreasonable to keep it cooler? Kids are 3 and 6. We bundle up and use blankets.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• i dont think its unreasonable but its to cold for me. i like it around 73-75
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• So it'll be okay to have it lower? How low can we make it with out making it without the kids getting too cold and sick.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I have no idea how low you could make it. I shiver if it is under 70 and can't get anything done and can't sleep. You will have to judge for yourself how low your kids can tolerate.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 5:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• They seem fine now but I need to make it lower I'm just worried they will get hurt by it being too cold.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Personally I feel about 60-65 is ideal for young children, but I have nothing to scientifically back that. We keep it around 55 at night and 65 during the day while we are home and bundle up.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• We might not have any heat at all for a while. I'm REALLY worried about that. WE are more southern so it wouldn't be horrible during the day but it does get to below freezing in the night.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I wouldnt go lower than where youre at. I was watching a segment on The Doctors about sleep and the Specialist(dr) they had on, said that heat is important for a good night sleep (and maintaining body temp). Your thermostat should be b/n 68 and 73. When your body temp drops so does your immune system. Thats just one reason why we catch so many colds in the winter
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• idk but we keep ors set at 64 at all times.lots of blankets at night,long pants,warm socks and sweaters during the day,lol...as long as you cant see your breath and thier noses arent red from the cold,lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• So putting an extra sweat shirt on and cutting it down more isn't going to be okay then. I don;t know what to do. If I keep it were it is I will loose it all together. I guess some heat is better than no heat but if it will hurt them either way... I don;t know what to do now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• We keep ours at 71 durning the day and 66 at night, but we also have one of those edan pure heaters running upstairs at night. You might look into a portable heater. Ours works amazing up stairs....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2011