Ten commandments posted in public school?

This is taken from my local news's facebook wall.

WSLS 10 A week after parents got the Giles Co. School Board to vote to return the 10 Commandments to the County's schools, opponents tell WSLS they're having a difficult time finding anyone to help sue the school system. WSLS's Ken Heineck will have an update at 5:30 p.m. Do you think someone in the County will come forward to sue?

What is your take on this? Check out the debate if you would like and if you have facebook.

ashisamom

Asked by ashisamom at 5:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Religious Debate

• This is the issue I have with schools in my area, and the one you mention here, OP. It's not the matter of religion so much, it's the flagrant disregard for the Constitution that bothers me. In my area, we've had issues with public prayer at school events like football games, PTA meetings and graduations. If people want to pray, that's fine, but the school shouldn't be leading students in prayer. Same for posting the Ten Commandments. People can believe whatever they want to, but when it comes to favoring one religion at a public place, such as a school or courthouse, is unnecessary (not posting them doesn't prevent anyone from following their religion of choice), disrespectful of those who aren't Christian, and unconstitutional.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 6:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It is not a matter of if they live by it or not. It is a matter of showing favoritism towards christian religion and making non christian children wonder if they are even welcome in their own school.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 7:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Many--if not most--schools still say the pledge. You're confusing civicism/patriotism with religion. There is a huge difference between displaying the American flag in an American public school and displaying the Ten Commandments in a public school. The American Flag is not about religion, the Ten Commandments is. The Constitution does not have any amendments about displaying the flag on public property. The First Amendment does, however, address religion and forbids the establishment of religion--which would be implied by posting something as undeniably religious as the Ten Commandments on public property.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Public school government funded, Separation of Church and State, 10 commandments shouldn't be posted. They should have appealed to the school-board. Suing SHOULDN'T be necessary but if an appeal has been made and the school board isn't complying then it might sadly have to come to that it shouldn't be for money though.....
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• They should also put up the Wiccan creed. And the 5 pillars of Islam.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 6:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• This kind of thing makes me SOOOOO glad I'm homeschooling, and I can pray and post the Ten Commandments all over my house if I want!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• "like i said, it's not like the kids are going to read it and live by it."

THen why does it need to be there?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• If others will not step forward then the State Board of Education needs to become involved if THEY do not do something to stop it then the Federal Government should get involved. This is a blatant disregard of the Constitution.  The reason no one is stepping up is because of the Bullies that want everyone to be the same religion. 

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Who is "everyone"--everyone here, or everyone at the Giles Co. School Board, or the parents? And what is the point that "everyone" is missing?
    jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• gee armwife....maybe they should be something up from the Koran. how would you feel about that?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2011