How do I get my son to take his first steps alone.

When I help him he will walk. He will walk with his toy walker. He will pull up on things. He will walk alone the wall.

shimmeringmom

Asked by shimmeringmom at 4:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He'll do it when he's ready. My son was cruising beautifully by 12 months, but he wouldn't let go and walk on his own for another 6 months. He is 18 months now and is walking around like a pro. Once he decided he was ready, he just got up nd walked, and he hasn't stopped stince.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• just keep coaxing him , what I did with my little girl is to place her on the rug and stand her up and when she was steady I moved a little away from her and coaxed her to come to me by holding her favourite toy ,when she managed the first few steps I would go ott in praise and then the next time would move a little further away from her . They take there own time ,he may take a few steps and then that will be it for a couple of days and then suddenly surprise you and walk across the room .good luck
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• yes ive done tried that when ever i let him go he will just bend down and sit.
    shimmeringmom

Answer by shimmeringmom at 4:18 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• MY DAUGHTER IS 11 MONTHS AND SHE HAS BEEN WALKING EVER SINCE SHE WAS 9 MONTHS. I USE SIT ON THE FLOOR WITH HER. HER DADDY WILL HOLD HE STEDY THEN HE WILL LET HER GO AND I WOULD HOLD MY HANDS OUT AND SHE WILL WALK TO ME. I DID IT EVERY DAY, A COUPLE TIMES A DAY. EACH DAY I WOULD BACK UP FURTHER AWAY FROM HER. THEN SHE JUST STARTED WALKING ALONE.
    Tbabygurlcramer

Answer by Tbabygurlcramer at 5:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• When he's ready he will. When we thought DD might be ready we would sit in a chair in the middle of the room and put a toy on the coffee table and would tell her to go get the toy. It was only about 2 steps for her at first to reach the table, and she would do that and gradually moved it back. We also did the go give mommy a hug, go give daddy a hug thing. This got her more confident about beinga blet o walk on her own. Pretty soon she was cruising around by herself all the time!
    Kelly_n_Payton

Answer by Kelly_n_Payton at 6:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2008