Does it absolutely tick anyone else off that there will be no social security?

when it comes time for ME to retire? It angers me to think about the people who have taken advantage of the system for so long. I completely understand there are people out there who need funds to survive, but we all no that is not always the case. When is it going to be time for everyone to get out there, get a job and contribute to the economy? Even if you take a job at a fast food restaurant, you will still be contributing to your future, well hell, even mine. What will life be like at that point for you? Where will your future be without social security?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I really wish we could just opt out. I don't care that we won't get a check when we retire, but we've already paid in tens of thousands of dollars and continue to pay in money that we will likely never get back. That's what pisses me off.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Thats why no one should ever rely on the Government. They said when I was a teenager SS would be gone by the time I retired, and it will be. Something should have been done back then, now its too late. Saving for your future is the only answer then you dont have to worry about SS giving anything. Talk to a financial planner, especially all you younger moms out there. I know it might seem like asking alot (even $25 a week is a good start) but in the end you feel alot better knowing YOU are in control not the Govt. When has the Govt ever run anything the right way? Look at the DMV. Courts. Road work. Fanny mae. Freedy Mac. Etc.

Answer by gemgem at 6:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• OMG people put the blame where it belongs. Washington has been RAIDING social security for DECADES. Its not abuse or fraud, its WASHINGTON.......

PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 7:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Where was that said?

If there will be no moe social secuirity then that means they will no longer taking it out of paychecks. If that is the case then you need to make the initiative to save what would have been taken and put into a 401k.
    Anonymous

• It is infuriating. Can I get a refund for all the years I've paid into it? EVERYTHING is too expensive and pay is not meeting inflation. Everyone needs to make a living and everyone is over-charging and the average person just cannot keep up. Show me a president who can fix this shit.
    Anonymous

• It absolutely ticks me off. It's a simple concept, spend less than you earn. Clearly our gov't is incapable of understanding that simple concept...For those of us who weren't born with a trust fund, I think the answer is you pretty much have to work until you can't work anymore and save, save. save.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yes esp when there are so many people out there that ever work and choose to live off of welfare. Lets cut welfare and not things that people who worked have earned! Stop supporting drug addicts because its a disease and than when someone like my mother that worked a majority of her life almost died from a massive staph infection a few years ago and she couldnt get help it is a shame.
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Unfortunately, jobs right now are few and far between- that makes ME more angry. How are you suppose to save for retirement when there are no jobs? The system is insolvent- too many people living longer and drawing out more than they ever put into the system. This imbalance needs to change.  Yesterday I heard on a financial radio talk show, at the current rate, the SS system will be depleted in 23 years. Looks like I'll get some of my money out-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• i accept the fact when i retire there will no money left in social security fund. i started saving when i was young and working. and now that i have no job it makes it harder to save. i hope i am wrong and there is money for social security.
    bartbeanie

Answer by bartbeanie at 6:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Of course it's annoying, BUT, Congress shot down Bush's plan in 2004-05 and AGAIN cheered at the 2006 SOTU speech for having shot it down in 2005....fast forward 5 years and look who's in the RED now?!?!

"On the social security front, 43 of the 44 Democratic Senators signed a letter Thursday to President Bush charging that his plan to privatize social security was "immoral, unacceptable, and unsustainable."

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2011