I want to start making baby food myself...but I am OVERWHELMED! It's easy, no?

I'm moving soon, with practically no kitchen appliances. I need a food processor, ice cube trays, etc. And a good baby food book. I really am starting from scratch! And if anyone has any good suggestions as to how to prepare meat feel free to post. My son is starting his first meats soon...so just curious how to prepare...crock pot? What???

joli13

Asked by joli13 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just boil it until tender and then puree it with the food processor. I personally liked to use one of those really small ones... don't add condiments! (tastes terrible to us, but it is healthier for baby and you prevent the possibility of allergies) I only bought baby food when we were going out of town to places where there was no fridge/stove... good luck!
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 5:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Boil it and mash it. Voila, baby food!
    I used that plastic grinder thingy and not even a food processor. SO easy, really, don't sweat this.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• check out wholesomebabyfood.com for recipies. Yes, get the food processor, or I used my magic bullet. Idk if this is cheating or not...but I got the frozen veggies alot of the time and just steamed and pureed.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I had a baby food grinder..it was less than 12 bucks I think. You don't need an expensive food processor.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Personally my kids HATED pureed food and I found a book on baby led weaning and started following that. My kids love eating just about anything now. BLW is a little messy at first, but worked great for me.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• So simple. You don't even need a blender, etc...if the food is naturally soft, either fork mash it, or cut it into small pieces for self feeding. If it's not soft, steam or bake until soft enough for either fork mashing or again, cut into bite size pieces for self feeding. No cookbook necessary, you're really over thinking it :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Ohhhh and meat...an LLL leader once suggested once you are ready to introduce meats, get some ground beef, put on baking tray, bake until thoroughly cooked, and voila! And for other things, keep with the soft and small mentality.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Really, you need a fork, and whatever fruits and vegetables you eat

Answer by rkoloms at 7:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I never used a blender, food processor, etc. I would just cook until soft and then either dice it really tiny or mash it with the tines of the fork. No need for pureed food.

Answer by missanc at 8:40 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I use a vegetable steamer ( just a cheap 15$ one from walmart ) and a blender ( another cheap one from walmart, but I should have gotten a better one, I'm killing the motor :) There are some great sites online for making baby food, don't spend the money on a book, you won't need it :) Just cook everything until soft, blend, tray, and freeze. And yes, it takes FOREVER!!!!! But its worth it :) My son is so healthy at 8 mos. everybody thinks he is 10-12 mos. :)
    Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2011