Pregnancy After Emergency C-Section

Ok, a little background. I had an awesome pregnancy with my first son,8 years ago, no complications. 2cd son, I had a perfect pregnancy, 6 years ago, until the later part and ended up delivering 3 weeks early by emergency c section. They had him out in less than 9 minutes and I do have a bit of scar tissue..........**with both pregnancies I was able to get pregnant right away and I have also never miscarried**BOTH children are normal, happy, healthy kids****at the time of the 2cd birth, The doctors almost lost us both, but we are fine. now. The dr at the time told me I could get pregnant again, but that It might be hard on my body, but didn't mention exact points. The doctors office i visited here, said, oh yeah, you're fine, you shouldn't have a problem getting pregnant or with labor.......(honestly I was a little put off for lack of concern)......so I dont know which was right.........

Here's my question-Is it going to be hard for me to get pregnant this time around because of the scar tissue or does anyone know of any other complications that could take place? Or is there a real chance I could be fine and the baby could be fine and we could just do another csection?

Any insight or anyone out there with experience?

OurHeartsAwait

Asked by OurHeartsAwait at 6:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Do you have a vertical incision? There is an increased risk of tearing with that, which is a concern, although the risk is generally fairly low. However, a VBAC is generally not allowed with a vertical incision. Getting pregnant shouldn't be any more challenging than normal, as far as I know, but I could be wrong. It's been 6 years, so that's adequate time for your body to get all nice and healed. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My cut was done horizontally. It had to be fast or they wouldve lost us both.........but the studies I've read makes it sound like it'd be impossible for me to get pregnant without complications...................I don't know............just trying to keep a positive outlook
    OurHeartsAwait

Comment by OurHeartsAwait (original poster) at 6:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Shouldn't be any problems. The main concern is scar tissue does not expand like healthy tissue. Active labor could cause the incision to burst open again (uterine rputure), but chances are pretty rare with horizontal incisions. Chances are you would have a perfectly uneventful pregnancy and could try for a vbac or simply do another c-section. The more c-sections you do the higher the chances for uterine rupture. Most doctors will tell you that you can only have three c-sections. Not something to worry about just yet, but you should definitely be informed and know the risks.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Why would it be impossible? I've had 5 c-sections (although none of them were emergencies) and got pregnant right away after the first 2 and on the first try with the other 2. I have no idea how much scar tissue I had but I'm sure I had some.
    My kids were born in 2000, 01, 02, 06 and 10 all by c-section (they are 10, 9, 8, 4 and 6 months right now). I did miscarry one baby in between #4 and #5. That was at 12 weeks. But the first 4 pregnancies were completely uneventful and so was the last one. I did have my tubes tied this time around, though, because I get pregnant so easily (it literally takes just one time unprotected) because I decided the risk of having another c-section was too great for me.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Theoretically scar tissue can cause problems with later pregnancies. Realistically, I've never known anyone who had secondary infertility as a result of a c-section. I think the likelihood is that you would be just fine. One thing you will need to find out if you are contemplating a VBAC is whether the uterine incision (not the incision on your skin) is vertical or horizontal. Sometimes the bikini cut on your skin is horizontal whereas the incision into the uterus was vertical... more doctors are willing to try a VBAC with a horizontal uterine incision than a vertical one.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I dont think you would hav any problems but I would at least let your body heal, about 6mos or so.If the doc almost lost yall! Please be careful.
    I just had an emergency C-section last feb( 1st c-sec.) and my baby was in the NICU for 9 days but he is fine :) We waited until he was about 6mos to try again for another baby, and I got prego in Oct.
    IloveJesus316

Answer by IloveJesus316 at 8:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2011