6 mos. old - feeding issues

A little history:
Lyla has reflux and is on previcid we also have to thicken up her formula quite a bit so it will stay down. She is also a soy baby because she can't handle milk based formulas.

She eats constantly ... I have tried to spoon feed her to try to avert from all the bottles so much but she wants nothing to do with it.....have I made her lazy by adding all the cereal to her formula so early to thicken it up.
Shouldn't she want to eat by now....shouldn't she BE eating by now....all my other kids just fine with the transition and I am at the end of my rope....
Any advice? Anyone go through a similar situation?

Liz30355

Asked by Liz30355 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son had all of the same issues, i started giving him ceral first thing in the morning when he woke up this way he was at his hungriest..that worked pretty well. I always had to give him cereal before a bottle. I think it was around 6 months that i started stopping the thickening feeds. I kept him on the medicine (he was on Zegerid thou) prob. untill 7 months. idk how bad the reflux is but maybe if you starting lessening the cereal in her bottle she will be hungry and want to eat more. Hope this helped a little. GL!
    dmdemes

Answer by dmdemes at 7:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• also i forgot to mention that my son had a hard time with the baby food at first bc that would also bother his reflux, so i had to mix his baby food with the cereal and formula so that it would stay down. that worked well for us. the baby food was just not thick enough
    dmdemes

Answer by dmdemes at 7:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 7:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• She's only 6 months. That's just the very beginning of spoon feeding. Just keep offering it, she'll get it soon.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I agree with PP. Give her some time. Keep offering it and eventually she will start taking it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• No, it's not horrible that she's not interested in solids yet, though I would consider her to already be on solids. You don't HAVE To use purees though, try offering small, soft pieces of fruits and veggies, and let her try self feeding.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2011