Is dating a person who is in another relationship wrong?

On the radio show I listen to, they posed this question; if you are a single person, and you get involved with a person who is married or in a committed relationship, are YOU doing something wrong? The majority of people said yes, this was morally wrong, but several people argued that since THEY weren't in a relationship already, dating someone who is isn't wrong on THEIR end, that it was the person they were dating's responsibility to be faithful or not, and since they weren't committed to the other woman/man, then it wasn't wrong of them to pursue a relationship. And several people said that dating a married person was wrong, but dating someone who wasn't married but is living with or serious with another person WASN'T wrong. 

What do you think? I'm curious as to where others stand on this issue. 

Guinhyvar

Asked by Guinhyvar at 6:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• I would ask this: Being the single person in the relationship, do you feel good about the fact your partner has a lover? Likely the answer is no. Anyway, slim chance the relationship goes anywhere so it's just a bad choice all around. JMO.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yes, in my opinion, it is wrong.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• my first question is... why would anyone want to be in a relationship with a douche bag that is with someone else in the first place? If you know the person is with someone else, it may not be your fault but yes it's wrong. I wouldn't want to be the other person!!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I still think it's wrong, all you'd be doing is help enable the douche bags. I sure wouldn't want another to be woman willing to date my husband.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 6:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yes it's wrong.

Answer by missanc at 6:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• if you KNOW the person you are dating is married or in a serious relationship, you ARE wrong too! just as wrong as the person who's committed. i dont care if its not your vows/committments to stick to, dont put yourself in the position to let someone else fail on their vow/committment. be the bigger person!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yes..IF you KNOW about it..

if not..ur just an innocent party being lied to
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 6:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• In my opinion, a single person being with a married person or a person in a relationship is just as wrong. That single person may not be in a relationship, but they are assisting in destroying someone else's. They don't see themselves as being wrong because they figure they are not the one to deal with the consequences of the other relationship. They don't have a conscience and no respect for themselves. They're pretty much second choice, sloppy seconds, but it's apparent they don't mind being that because they keep doing it
    virgo550

Answer by virgo550 at 7:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Most definitely! You wouldn't expect to live in a house or drive a car that belongs to someone else, so why sleep with their husband? In the military, a guy can get in major trouble for having an affair with another man's wife.
    justplainjenni

Answer by justplainjenni at 7:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• If you knowingly deceit someone, including another person's spouse or SO, then YES, it is wrong.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 8:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2011