2.5 year old eating habits...?

My son is almost 3 and he only wants to eat Macaroni & Cheese, Top Ramen or noodle dishes, but he will only eat them plain- no mixed in vegitables, nothing like that, only drinks Juice and Milk... He refuses to eat anything else, and would rather go to bed hungry, than eat something different. I am worried that this isn't normal. My doctor says it is, but it just seems off to me... has anyone else encountered this with their little ones?

Hezekiahs_mom

Asked by Hezekiahs_mom at 6:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I would think this question was posted by me if I didnt know any better. My daughter is 3 and exacltly the same all she wants to eat ever is mac n cheese. I have started making different fun tjhings and letting her help me. Sometimes it works sometimes it ddoesnt. She will usually want to eat whats on my plate so I would take out extra. But yea that is totally normal.
    Anonymous

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually he will start eating them again.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 10:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My son was the same way... He doesnt eat any kind of veggies. Now that he is getting closer to three he is starting to eat a lot more things. What I did was I would still but veggies on his plate at dinner time, even if he wouldnt eat them. That way he sees them always and he sees mommy and daddy eating them as well. I would always say try them, you love veggies." (even though I know he didnt.) Also I always give him a vitamin and V8 juice... the one that taste like fruit but has a serving of vegetables in it. Best of luck! ONE more thing. we used to always keep a veggie tray out on the table, with different stuff on it with some dip. He seemed to slowly try new things. again good luck momma!!

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 9:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

and please stop feeding your child toxic foods!

• I do not feed my son toxic foods...
    I am not influencing his pickiness either, he goes to bed if he does not eat what I prepared. He will eat snack foods like yogurt and veggies, but meal-wise, he is picky. And I will not promote "playing with food" as being okay, he plays with it enough as it is. Thank you for your input though. I appreciate it.
    Hezekiahs_mom

Comment by Hezekiahs_mom (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• That totally came out as rude- I was not trying to be.
    Hezekiahs_mom

Comment by Hezekiahs_mom (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• This is what we do----We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate

My 3 yr old is the same way on certain foods.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think that toddlers just go through a phase like that (not all, necessarily). DD loves Velveeta (the little cups of it) and those Cheetos that look like a corkscrew. She doesn't get them all the time, but she throws a fit if you pass them in the grocery store and don't pick them up lol. Thankfully she's gotten to a point now where she'll eat other things. For a while, she would hardly eat anything besides the Velveeta cups. It was the only thing I could get her to eat. *Sigh* Now she's starting to like her fruits and veggies again, thankfully. A friend of mine has a daughter that wouldn't eat anything besides Slim Jim's, mini-corn dogs and something else for almost a year. I think it's pretty common for kids to be that way, and if the doctor isn't worried, don't stress too much, just keep offering other foods.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• You might want to do a bit of research. Playing with food can actually lead to healthy habits.

If you are feeding your child foods with pesticides, GMOs, etc., then you are feeding your child toxins.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• didn't knw pasta was toxic , i should have been dead years ago! lol most kids do that and my dr said it is ok. my kids are 33, 30 and 25 and are healthy happy adults. very smart too. no brain damage from ramen noodles lol
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 2:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2011