Does being friends with someone of the opposite sex always mean you will have an "emotional" or other kind of affair?

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 6:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• No. I have male friends I've had for 30 years, and I'm not going to be getting romantic with any of them.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• No. Absolutely not. I have plenty of male friends that I strictly platonic with. There is absolutely no feelins what so ever. However that doesnt stop by boyfriend from being plenty jealous! haha.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 6:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• No. It doesn't have to mean that will happen. However, the sad truth is that it too often will happen. That's why it's best to not run the risk.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It doesn't alwys mean that. And it depends on the situation. If the spouse who has the friend is wanting to spend more time with the friend rather than their spouse or can't wait to talk to them then thats where the problem lies.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 6:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• sometimes
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• of course not.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• No, you can have guy friends
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 7:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• OMG No! LOL The thought of having some kind of emotional connection beyond friendship with my guy friends makes me kind of sick (then again, DH is the only guy that I've ever really wanted, I like girls better lol). I've only met a couple of people who weren't able to be "just friends" with a member of the opposite sex (maybe like 3 or 4?), so it's definitely possible to be just friends IMO. Some may disagree, but that's just been my experience and what I've seen.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• no..i dont think so
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My personal thoughts.

Nope.. Having friends of the opposite sex does not automatically mean those things are going to happen. Or cause those things to happen.

Having an affair/extra marital relationship of any sort is an active, willful, choice. A person can have a friendship with a person of the opposite sex and never allow it to go beyond friendship. However. Doing so, means a person is always fully aware that those things can happen and happen very easily IF a person chooses to allow it to happen. Many people already cross the lines of friendship into something more, without even realizing they have done so until it's too late. If more people were actually clear about feelings, intentions, and drawing clear boundaries with themselves as well as their "Friends", and work to maintain those, that slippery slope can be avoided.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2011