My bf baby is constipated.. what do I do?

my baby's doctor gave him vitamins with iron because he's breastfed. (he's also 10 weeks old) Now he's constipated. He hasn't gone at all today and just a little bit yesterday. He's usually an everyday pooper. What can I do to get him to poop?

mantamoo

Asked by mantamoo at 6:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He dosen't have to poop everyday. My dd went a couple days without pooping and she is bf. After a certain period of time the poop less.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 6:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• First, how low were your baby's iron levels?

Second, it is normal for breastfed babies to go more than a week between bowel movements

Answer by rkoloms at 6:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• STOP THE VITAMINS!!! Unless your son has iron deficiency anemia, he DOES NOT need the vitamins, or the iron!! There is PLENTY of iron in breastmilk, and it's MUCH more easily absorbed than that in formula or in vitamins. Your doctor is using outdated information.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Are you for sure he is constipated? Its totally normal for a breastfed baby to go a few days between pooping, even a week. My daughter started out an everyday pooper, but as my milk regulated and when she went through growth spurts she started skipping a day, and even days here and there. Unless he seems really uncomfortable I would give it some more time, when he does go if its not hard he wasnt constipated. If he doesnt go for another day or two, then talk to the doctor. With my son I did have to give him a glycerin suppository once to get him to go.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 6:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• With breastfed babies, it's not abnormal for them to go a day without pooping. The consistency of the poop is a good indication of constipation (hard poops of course). Best thing to do is read up on it =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• If the poops have stopped only since giving him the vitamins, and it's not normal for him, then there's a problem, ladies.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Music- the doctor never checked his levels. She just said that because he's breastfed he needs iron and when i got them it's a multi with iron. If breast milk is so good why does he need vitamins? I didn't give him them yesterday or today.

Everyone else- i guess I'll wait a little bit longer. He just is a pretty regular guy and I have noticed that since these vitamins he skipped a day and yesterday it wasn't very much. Thank you for your answers
    mantamoo

Comment by mantamoo (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• couple drops of kayro syrup in the bottle will do the job! our doctor recomended it!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I have breastfed three healthy, happy babies to at least a year and not once did I supplement with vitamins. You need to continue to take a prenatal vitamin yourself, eat healthy and your baby will be just fine!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 7:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• NEVER NEVER NEVER use Karo. Karo is a botulism risk which can be deadly in infants.

As you have seen from the answers waiting is your best answer. My guy would go 6 - 9 days before pooping. It can be very normal for a breastfed baby. When baby does go poop as long as it is not hard pellets baby is not constipated.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 7:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2011