Moms in Canada or Europe (particularly, but other countries also!)

Have you always lived in your current country of residence?
What are your favorite things about your country?
What are your least favorite things?
If you were going to move to another country, what country would it be and why?
What would you say to someone who wanted to move to your country (like advice for them, etc.)?
If you moved to your current country of residence from somewhere else, where did you live originally and why did you move?

I don't really know any of the moms from other countries. Is anyone interested in maybe being friends on here and chatting from time to time?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 7:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Have you always lived in your current country of residence?  I've lived in two countries (twice each), England and Canada.  I was born in England and lived there for a total of 14 years.  I'm currently living in Canada and I've been here a total of 33 years.
    What are your favorite things about your country?  I love the laid back lifestyle (especially in the summer) and the live and let live attitude of Canada.  I love the culture, history and tradition of Britain.  I am and always will be a loyal subject of her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.   Both countries have very different and breath taking scenery.  Free health care is also a huge benefit in both countries.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• -No, I have only lived here for 8 months.
    -I love the cheap medical, optical, dental. I pay as much for a visit as some people do for insurance co-pays. The food and culture are wonderful too. I can't forget the weather either, no snow! Yipee!
    -I don't like the fact I can't find certain foods here. Clothing/electronics/toys are redic in price. People are f'n nuts driving too.
    -I'd move back to the US, that's where it's at!
    - I'm not sure what advice I'd give them. Stay in the southern part of the country I guess. It's more chill down here.
    - I originally lived in Michigan. I moved here so our family could be together while we wait on my husband's paperwork for him to legally live/work in the US. He just finished his Masters that's why it's taken us so long to do the paperwork.
    (We live in southern Mexico)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• What are your least favorite things?  The granny state politics and the politicians piss me off.  I hate the winters in both countries because I feel the cold so badly.  Canada is bitterly cold and England is damp and dreary.

If you were going to move to another country, what country would it be and why?  I've already hopped back and forth between two, and dh and I have been talking about moving back to England when we retire.

What would you say to someone who wanted to move to your country (like advice for them, etc.)?  Do your research before moving to any country and remember that visiting a country is very different from living in a country.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• If you moved to your current country of residence from somewhere else, where did you live originally and why did you move?

I was born in Birmingham, UK (British father and Canadian mother), moved to Montreal  (mother's home town) when I was a baby.  Moved back to the UK when I was 23 because I fell in love the year before, when I was there for a holiday.   When I was 36, I wanted to move back to Canada, so hubby applied for immigration and a year later we moved back to Canada and settled in Ontario.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Thanks beeky! I didn't realize you weren't from the US. Between Canada and England, if you had to pick one to live in permanently, which would you go with? DH and I have been talking about moving to Europe (probably England) or Canada for years (since we met). We've done a lot of research (well, we've asked a lot of questions on sites like this, and read about different parts of both countries trying to narrow down where we'd like to look into moving to). Nothing is set in stone yet, though. I still have school and we aren't in a financially stable enough situation to move anywhere. But, it's still definitely being considered strongly. I'd like to travel some first, though, and spend some time in a few places or something. Now if we could just make friends in Canada and England lol.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 10:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• That is a tough call, but I would have to say Canada because it is very expensive to live in Europe.  For example our house in Canada is 3 times bigger than our house in England but it cost about the same as what we sold our house in the UK for.   You don't even want to know what the British pay for petrol (gas).

On the other hand Britain has many more social services especially for senior citizens which is why we are considering moving back when we retire.  My FIL receives free dental care and free prescriptions for example.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• cont....

We bought a book when we were moving over here called Living and Working in the USA and Canada.   It was a very helpful book.  I would also recommend that you look up the immigration process for the countries that you are interested in.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:05 AM on Jan. 28, 2011