If my first 2 kids were 5 weeks early, what are the odds of my next being early?

I am trying to decide when to start TTC and I wonder if I should plan assuming I'll have the baby at 35 weeks or 40. lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Well since your other two were it sounds pretty likely, but you may be surprised.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 7:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• They are both boys, does that make a difference? Are boys more likely to be born early than girls or anything like that?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• all pregnancies are different so you never know. ive had an on time, a late, and very late and a very early
    cantchacitsme

Answer by cantchacitsme at 7:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My mom had my sister early, me on time, my brother early and my youngest brother on time. I think every pregnancy is different.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Every pregnancy is different, every baby has their own schedules. My son was born early, and my daughter was induced 2 weeks late...... No guarantees, I say plan for a baby who will be born @ 40 weeks....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 8:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My daughter was 2 weeks early and my son was three weeks early. You just never know when they want to make an appearance:)
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It depends on why the first two were early. If it is something like pre-eclampsia, that can clearly change from baby to baby. If it was a uterine abnormality, they say you can go a little longer each pregnancy (but only by a week or two) as your uterus gets more stretchy. I'd say that chances are that you would have an "early" baby, but not too early. If your first two had breathing issues from being born early, they could give you steroids at 34 weeks to mature the baby's lungs for the expected early delivery, which would significantly decrease the breathing troubles seen in slightly early babies. (And boys don't breath as well when delivered slightly early as girls. They are just a bit wimpier.)
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 8:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2011