Poopy cloth diaper: now what?

Ok, so I don't have all the supplies yet... in fact, I don't have anything but this one cloth diaper I'm trying out! I've used it a couple times before and just haven't exactly worked out what to do with it when it's got a big soft poop in it. Last time I washed it down the laundry room sink... YUCK! I don't want to be dealing with poop in the sick. But I don't have a sprayer to wash it over the toilet. And then what? Soak it? Wrap it in a bag until I'm ready to do laundry? I feel really dumb right now!

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 7:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My mom ued to soak them in a bucket of very light bleach and hen dump the whole bucket in the wash in the evenings. I am sure this has changed though...I'm not sure about soaking in bleach what would go on my childs rear.
    Anonymous

• I just rinsed it in the toilet with my hands. Then if they are really bad let it soak in the toilet, or a bucket of water, then again rinse it out by hand. I then toss my diapers and inserts into the washer through the day and let them soak with a little soap, then run it through the rinse cycle....my washer has a seperate rinse cycle. Then when babies are in bed I was the load in hot water with soap and Borax. Get rubber gloves if the thought of putting your hand in the toilet with poop grosses you out.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 7:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I just wipe the really sticky ones with toilet paper into the toilet. I don't have a sprayer either and have been cloth diapering for over a year. Some people do dunk it in the toilet but you don't have to if you don't want to do that. After you wipe it off, toss it in the diaper pail or laundry.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 7:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I do wash all mine out by hand before I put them in the diaper pail (you can easily use a bucket), but you can just shake any loose stool in to the toilet and do a quick rinse. If you wear rubber gloves it's really not a big deal to scrub them though.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• This is precisely why I use disposables, lol! I'd be typing the same thing as you are now. Here's a bump!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would shake what I could into the toilet, flush that, then stretch the shower head over the toilet lol. That was kind of messy (because of the water), but effective. It wouldn't have worked if our shower wasn't right beside the toilet, though. When I was at someone else's house, I would rinse the diaper in the toilet. What I did was turn it so that the poopy side was facing the drain in the toilet, then hold it and flush to suck as much as possible down. Then I'd just toss it in the pail (after squeezing the excess water out). It worked for me, but everyone has their own method as you can see lol.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2011