What is the difference in cloth diapers and regular diapers?

So, I am getting everything ready for my 4th child.  Not too familiar with cloth diapers.  Actually, the first I have heard about them has been on here.  What did you decide to use and why?

MrsHouston47302

Asked by MrsHouston47302 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• I personally prefer disposable diapers. I think cloth diapers take far too long, with the washing and rinsing, and rinsing again. I'd rather just throw it away and be done. I once compared prices, because some say cloth diapers are far cheaper, but when it came down to the water you use for laundry and the special soaps and what-have-you, then the price was nearly identical. I have never washed cloth diapers or seen anyone do it, but I just don't like the idea of touching poo and cross-contamination. Disposables are less time consuming which gives you more time to snuggle baby! :)
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 8:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Look at this site TheLuvYourBaby.com They were the most inexpensive ones I could find and LOVE them. Found out about that particular brand on here as well. I will never go back to disposable. I spent $150 on 20 diapers and haven't turned back.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 7:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• There's lots of differences. Cloth is chemical free, reusable (less waste), cheaper and healthier for your baby. I use disposables when my DH takes the baby, because he won't use cloth, but even doing that we have already saved a huge amount of money. We spent $200 on 8 covers & 24 liners and that's enough to last us 3 days or so. Simply make sure you get yourself a diaper pail and you're fine.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I have a diaper pail and hated it. You'll learn what your preference is. I soak my diapers in a bucket of water or the washer filled with rinse water through the day and then wash them each night. A liner is the insert that goes into the diaper cover.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I love cloth. I get the ones that grew with them. So you save lots of money. I just have a regular garbage pail and bought a liner. Never had a smell problem at all. You can wash them in regular detergent. I don't buy that special expensive stuff. It has to be fragrance clear. Wash is not that bad and you do not up your water bill at all. Join Cuties with cloth booties and they will be able to answer a lot of your questions. I so wish I had done this with my other girls. I would have even saved more money.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• To Sharell8710 I have never had to touch a poopy diaper as much as you touch one when you are cleaning your baby.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Okay, so I need the diapers, liners, and pail?  What are liners and what is a diaper pail?

MrsHouston47302

Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Oh! And babies can often break out from the soap that is used to wash them, that's why you have to rinse them several times and everything. Baby could be allergic to disposables as well, but then just try another brand.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2011