I breastfed till my baby was 5 months old. Now in his 6 month he refuses to take breast milk. is it normal ?

I breast fed my baby boy for 5 months. Then I introduced him to formula for just one feeding just to ensure he likes that too in case my supply goes down. Now in his 6th month he is become more playful & refuses breast milk. He does that for formula too, but I manage to put the bottle in his mouth by singing,etc but unable to do the same with breast feeding. I have started to put him on some solids too. I bought an electric pump but cannot get more than 2-3 ounces in a day, Is this normal ? I feel terrible that he is not taking it from me & it makes me depressed. Should I be happy that atleast he's having his food on time & without any fuss ?

jaune

Asked by jaune at 4:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try to keep pumping and if that doesn't work for you anymore, don't feel bad. My 1st two girls were breastfed for 2 weeks and I felt guilty at first but the doctors said as long as they were getting their nutrients from formula or breast milk that it wouldn't hurt. I did breastfeed my 3rd daughter for 10 months and when I put her on formula after that, even at her being 10 months I still felt guily. The same with my son (I did 6 weeks with him). It might make you feel horrible and guilty but it won't last long. It's just a mother's instinct to feel that way.
    MoMmYoF4_kIdS

Answer by MoMmYoF4_kIdS at 6:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Keep up the pumping, and keep offering your breast to your baby. Most little ones go through a phase where they are easily distracted and often refuse food. Pretty soon, he'll figure out how to do two things at once, so keep trying!

I'd maybe contact a lactation consultant as well; 2-3 ounces in a day is not very much. I get four from each boob almost everytime I pump...
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I BREASTFEED MY DAUGHTER TO SHE IS ONE NOW. SHE USE TO DO THE SAME THING. JUST KEEP TRYING TO GIVE THE BREASTMILK. DONT GIVE UP JUST KEEP TRYING HE WILL TAKE IT.
    Tbabygurlcramer

Answer by Tbabygurlcramer at 6:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Does he eat at night? Two things: stop the formula. This could be sabotaging your breastfeeding career! =o)

Second: sometimes kids go through reverse feeding stages meaning they don't really eat throughout the day but eat at night.  Sometimes, they will go a day or two of hardly any eating and then go through days when they eat like little piggies!  The introduction of solids also has a lot to do with the amount of liquids they consume.

I suggest you keep offering the boob and try to lay off the formula for a bit.  Also, pumping is never an indication of your supply.  Only our babies can bring the right amount of milk down.

Good luck, keep up the good work!

ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 6:03 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I wouldn't worry about it....it sucks cuz u loose the bonding on breastfeeding, but some babies just mean themseleves....which is a good thing, trust me :)

i cant believe he would rather have the formula tho, its no nasty and i heard the breast milk was sweet...

i would say keep trying with the breastmilk cuz it is the best :) but he may just be done with it...and pump every chance you get. breast feeding is all suply and demand... you will only produce what is needed so if u slow down pumping them your milk will slow down ... good luck :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 6:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• they just wean** themselves
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2008