How long do your kids have to eat lunch at school?

My kids are 6 and 8 and they have about 25 minutes. I wondered how long most kids have at school....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Mine also have about 25 minutes although, my grandson complains that his class is always las in line so he only ends up with about ten minutes which is ridiculous.
    MelissaCarole

Answer by MelissaCarole at 7:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My son is 5 and I think he gets about 20 min or so. I would have to check his schedule to be 100% but I am pretty sure it is around that long.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• 25 minutes was the norm in any school I ever worked in.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My son is a sophomore, and he complain constantly about how they rush to eat in school. It's pretty ridiculous how the schools are now. Rather sad if you ask me. My two nieces ages 5 and 7 complain about the short lunch too. When they get home, the fridge is in big trouble, but I don't mind because I know the school practically starve them. I go to Sam's and stock up on snacks they can eat when they get home until dinner is served.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I work in a school cafeteria. That is what each of our grades have.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I am pretty sure it is 20 minutes. My kids have no issues finishing in that amount of time.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Legally they are required to have 30 mins - or at least that's how it is in PA.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• They have 15 minutes followed by 20 minutes of recess.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My son has 20 minutes of recess & 20 minutes for lunch. I know for some kids, it is a problem if they get school lunch because they spend time in line & then have less time to eat. My son is a slow eater so he gets a packed lunch every day - that way he has time to finish (or come close).
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• In elementary school he has 25 minutes and it was plenty of time to eat, IF they weren't fooling around and talking. In middle school it was 30 minutes. Now that he is in high school it is 45 minutes. He has always had enough time to get his food and eat, as long as he wasn't fooling around.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2011