Please tell me I'm not the only one

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that math above a basic algebra level is evil. My Pre-Calc class is starting to kick my ass now.... I hate it.

I used to be great with math, until my 8th grade teacher screwed us all over (seriously, everyone who had her had lower grades in math than they'd ever had before after that). She wouldn't teach, she'd just write down pages on the chalk board, sit at her desk and play cards with the kids who kissed her ass. They made straight As and high Bs. Those of us who actually tried, and asked for help, failed. All of us.

Anyway... I barely scraped by algebra 1&2 in high school after that, but geometry was easy (too bad I didn't do my work very often lol, easy A). Now, Pre-Calc, not for the first time, not for the second time, but for the THIRD time! (I dropped it twice before when I had to drop out of my classes.) Sorry for the ramble lol.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 8:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in

• You're not the only one. I forgot most of the algebra I ever learned. Never took any math classes beyond algebra.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I often think that math, high school and above, teaches such crazy problems that people forget the basics of adding, subtracting and so on. I think people would be better off not learning the crazy hard stuff and just focusing on the basic math until they are flawless at it.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 8:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Algebra and high math teaches critical thinking, problem solving and how to take a problem and use steps to come to a solution. It isn't about letters and numbers together or not needing it, it's about the process it takes to come to a solution. Trust me, I HATE math! I am taking College Math for the 3rd time but having taken it in high school and college, I have learned to be better problem solver, I have learned to take a problem and break it into steps. It has helped me in my other classes. Yes, it's still frustrating to me but atleast I am learning that I CAN do thinks and problem solve creatively.

I am sorry you had such a horrible teacher in high school, you should have told your parents and complained to the principal.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• i loved math! it was the english comp and the writing papers i disliked...lol...
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 8:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Oh I did tell them, and so did half the rest of the class. None of our parents believed us until the final report card came out, though. My mom still isn't sure if I was telling the truth about it. No one started actually going to the principal over her crap until the year I graduated. We had a couple of bad teachers like that. One would have been fired if she hadn't retired.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 2:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• When I was in college, I had to take calculus three times.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:43 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My 8 year old is a math whiz (so far anyway.) He's been dabbling in advanced math for years. Along with it, though, I've been swearing, for years, that he has some mutant math gene because he sure as hell did NOT inherit that ability from DH or me! LOL!

I had a similar awful math teacher. Mine was an Algebra 2/Trig class and the teacher was a former engineer who retired himself into a teaching job. The worse part was the school KNEW he was bad but he was tenured and not doing anything worthy of breaking tenure to fire him. There was literally a standard letter that got attached to transcripts sent out with college applications which more or less said "take all grades given in Dr. L's classes with a grain of salt. No one does well in his classes. These grades are easily 1 to 2 letter grades lower than reality." Of course, it was worded more professionally. Anyway, point is, you are not alone.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:36 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I will say, though, that I seriously doubt my own ability to pass an advanced math test today, I do know that even the stuff I despised has been used and applied every now and again. IT has it's merit even if it sucks. ;)

Do you know what kind of learner you are? My biggest issue with math is that I'm a tangible learner. I need to be able to *see* something applied or be able to visualize the application. My problem with higher math classes is that it was always presented to me as theory and equation with no real application. The aforementioned awful teacher would give us make-up tests that were much harder than the originals if we missed a test. The one time I had to take a make-up he handed me a Pre-Calc test - remember, I was in Algebra 2 /Trig! However, the problems on that were a lot like what e did in Chem lab and THAT I could understand. I got an 102 on the make-up. LOL!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2011