getting dog to gain weight

my dog eat three times a day but he wont put on the right amount of weight what could be wrong?

Jocelynn18

Asked by Jocelynn18 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Pets

• If you are feeding him properly and he is still not gaining weight then you should take him to a vet it could be a whole range of things from worms to cancer.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 8:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• have him dewormed. that's the standard first test for a dog that's not gaining weight. What type of dog is he, how old, and how much are you feeding him? It could be that he's reached the weight he'll maintain for maturity.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I agree that if you are feeding this dog 3 times a day 1/2 cup or more, the dog should be fine. My 2 big dogs eat 2 times a day, about 1 cup at a time. I would have the dog looked at for worms and possibly invest in a better quality food. You could always give the dog table scraps.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• i've rescued a few dogs that were very skinny from not being fed. i fed thema mix of dry and wet cat food once a day, in place of one meal. took usually about 2-3 weeks to get weight on. once they got weight on i would keep the dry cat food, but ad in the normal dog food you use. also i agree with deworming first, worms can keep them skinny. GL!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• First - deworm.
    Second - not all diets are created equal.
    Third - not all dogs have the same metabolism.

My younger dog is a rescue boxer mix with a super-high metabolism. I was finally able to get weight on her by giving her >2,000 calories a day! The dog food with the highest calorie per cup content that I was able to find was Hill's Adult Active, it has ~ 560 calories per cup. She was on 2 cups, twice a day until I got the weight on her (took several months).

That got expensive, so after getting her up to weight, the next highest calorie I found near me was Diamond Extreme Athlete, it has ~470 calories per cup.

She did well on both diets: shiny hair coat, reasonable amounts of stool, lots of energy, bright eyes, etc ...

Weight gain happens when more calories are taken in than expended (as opposed to dieting where you have to burn off more than you take in).
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 11:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Are you sure he is too skinny? Many people are so used to seeing overweight/obese dogs that they think it is normal. You should be able to slightly FEEL his ribs, but shouldn't be able to SEE them. If he truly is too skinny, he may need a vet visit to check for parasites or he may just need to be switched to a higher quality brand of food. Higher quality usually means higher calories/cup and definitely means higher USABLE calories. If the food you are feeding is all corn and byproducts, the dog is just pooping it all out! Dogs can't digest corn as they are CARNIVORES. Personally, I feed my dogs Taste of the Wild (I rotate between the 4 "flavors"). It is grain-free and for all life stages. My 20lb dog eats 2/3 cup/day and my 40lb dog eats 1.75-2 cups/day and they are at the perfect weight for their build. They are also VERY active and have beautiful skin/coats!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• dogs need lots of daily exercise
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 8:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• can give canned food. Also can seek vet advice to gain weight. Can give dog food addition to that brown rice and veggies.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2011