im a little confused someone explain?

ok i was on this other site and this whole forum was going crazy because this person was a satanist/pagan/wiccan/atheist, my question is how can you believe in those religions AND be an atheist im just a tad bit confused

******edit*******

this was her reply to all the people talking about her

"will this make it easier?

LaVeyan Satanism is one of several distinct religions identifying itself as
Satanic. Followers are atheists who stress dependence on the self rather than
reliance on any outside power. It encourages individualism, materialism, ego,
personal initiative, self-worth and self-determinism.

Wicca- Contrary to what those who choose to persecute or lie about us wish to
believe, Wicca is a very peaceful, harmonious and balanced way of life which
promotes oneness with the divine and all which exists.

Paganism-Pagans honour the Divine in all its aspects, whether male or female, as parts of
the sacred whole. Every man and woman is, to a Pagan, a beautiful and unique
being. Children are loved and honoured and there is a strong sense of community.
The woods and open spaces of the land, home to wild animals and birds, are
cherished. Paganism stresses personal spiritual experience, and Pagans often
find that experience through their relationship with the natural world that they
love. We seek spiritual union with Divinity by attuning with the tides of Nature
and by exploring our inner selves, seeing each reflected in the other. We
believe that we should meet the Divine face to face, within our own experience,
rather than through an intermediary

these are the CONCEPTS i follow I in no way believe in the gods/goddesses or
Satan nor god"

which just shut everyone up in the forum

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• You cant. Atheists believe in no god or gods. You can respect others belief in them, but not believe yourself. I am an Atheist.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 8:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Well, Satanism and Paganism and Wiccan can be nontheistic, I think (I know Satanism can, as it usually is), so one could follow them and be Atheist, I would imagine...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• (Divine and Divinity doesn't have to mean God - and MOST Satanists don't believe in Satan as an actual being)
    bandgeek521

• When a person says they believe they will meet the Divine .... they believe in a higher power so I think she is confused.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• she said concepts so i dont think she follows every little thing in those religions
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Atheistic Satanism is more of a philosophy than a religion - it believes that the concept of Satan is just a name assigned to encompass all of man's basic natural instincts. They embrace those survival instincts and reclaim them. They don't actually believe in biblical Satan. There used to be several who participated here, but they've drifted away from CM over the past few years.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I can see how she would be able to be all those things together. She is following more of the concepts and teachings of each of the religions, not necessarily every one of the beliefs. It's like me. I have a mix of Celtic and Native American beliefs. It is possible to believe in more then one religios concept from different religions. And, whiel she believes in the power of nature, she may not believe that power comes from a higher being.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Atheists just don't believe in any gods, so I don't see why she can't believe in all these at least to some degree
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• A lot of what was listed above in her response I can relate to as it is how I live my life. My personal beliefs and way of life adhere to many of the conepts of these religions.
    The only difference for me is, I do not believe in any kind of higher power being or God/goddess.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I personally don't see how it is possible to be all those things at once. Mostly because I don't think the egotistical materialism of the Satanism can be practiced hand in hand with harmonious balance of the Wiccan/Pagan beliefs.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 11:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2011