How do you potty train a 3 yr old boy who doesn't want to?

I need to get rid of those yucky God forsaken diapers please help lol! He does ok some days but for the most part but I have to check him all day and tell him to go on the potty. Like I said, some days he is okay with going and then some he will cry and hate even the idea of sitting there to go - even though the outcome is good! I bribe him and give him treats but he doesn't care about those lol! He has a potty seat for the toilet and his own. He has those cool underwear too. I'm just wondering if there is somebody that knows something I don't .... some secret or trick to potty training a difficult one.

ohgoshism

Asked by ohgoshism at 8:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• just keep trying. my daughter was 3 and 4 months when she finally potty trained. she was very stubborn and kept telling me she didnt want to use the potty she liked diapers. Then one day we just kept making her sit on the potty and she finally decided to do it.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• we bought my grandson his own elmo potty ang\d put in the hallway he had privacy but could still watch tv. he was potty trained in a month try it
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 9:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• The answer is quite easy if you really think about it. You are training a boy to do something he does not want to do. What does he want to do? Play. So, make it fun, what I did with mine (who are now 8 and 5), is trained them in about a week and a half. The answer is simple...Cheerio's. Throw one in the toilet and have him and another male try to sink the ship fastest. It has worked in my family for generations. The real good part is tha I had a friend try it last fall. I am now known as Mr. Cheerio.

Please do not have him sit down if he has to pee. He will get a complex by the time he is in 2nd grade. I hear what my son says about his classmates.
    me-n-my

Answer by me-n-my at 9:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• my son was the same way. basically if he doesn't want to do it, then its not going to happen. you just have to wait till he wants to. you can keep trying tho. i put my son in underwear all day and eventually he got the hang of it. one day he decided he wanted to start goin in the potty all the time.
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My son is 3 as well. It took me a while to get him fully potty trained. Whatever you do, just stick to your guns. They get confused when you go back and forth. If he is showing interest, then go ahead and start him. I made a "Potty Jar" that had smarties in there so he would get 1 for teeteeing and 2 for pooping.

Good Luck!! :o)
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 3:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2011