Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back pain too much to handle

I have really bad chronic back pain (I was in a major car accident 12 yrs ago at 8 mos pregnant - and now have arthritis in my back) and I moved a little too fast this morning and now it is beyond intollerable on my right shoulder blade. I was going to a chiropractor which helped very little, but now have to pay $40 each time which I simply cannot afford and my family doctor has given me all kinds of different meds that do not work at all! The only thing that does work - I can't get because it is addictive...HELP!


Asked by Babylove76 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Health

Level 21 (10,227 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • i would definately try to get a pain management doctor ASAP, they aren't to concerned about prescribing narcotics--if needed, but I have seen some do wonders with alternative methods as well...GET A PAIN MD....

    Answer by LiFeOVeRForTY at 7:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • They have this chair you can buy ....It is not to much money... you can get it in a sports store. it reverses your posture....sorry, I do not know it's name. But I heard it works great! It is worth a try!

    Answer by getyoung at 4:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • Do you remember where you bought it? Is it that one that you kneel on with no back on it?

    Answer by Babylove76 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • One of my clients is a pain mangement doctor. For these symptoms he will usually say to stretch as much as you can each day. That will keep the muscles warm and loose. Also, try moist heat, sit in the tub with your shoulder under the water as hot as you can stand it; use heating pads or try a product called Thermacare; you can get them in any drug store for $7 or $8. They stick on the affected area and provide warmth. Sometimes it's the little things that can help. Don't get involved with medication; I've seen too many patients end up in rehab or become so miserable from the pills.I hope you feel better soon. Let me know how you are doing.

    Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 5:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • Thanks ladies...
    I am so damn frustrated because I can't take anything and I am trying to get a pain MD and my family MD made a referral and they rejected me. Didn't give a reason, just said they couldn't help me....and here I sit.....hurting like F#%$ing hell!!!

    Answer by Babylove76 at 8:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • I understand what you mean, I went through the pain management class and I was doing pretty good until the dosage of one medication was increased then decreased to put me on Lyrica, then all heck broke loose. Have you tried ice for three minutes then heat for one minute and back to ice? Do this cycle three times. I wish you all the luck in the world.

    Answer by captainsmate at 9:57 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • I found a lot of information on this site.

    Your insurance must stink. Sorry you are in all that pain. I had lower back problems myself. And I ended up needing surgery. I had it on Oct 1st. ALIF a fusion from the front. Before surgery I felt like I had 3 butchers knives in my back at all times. I went to a Neurogolist/Spine doctor.

    Could you try getting another referral at a different doctor? Why wouldn't they see you? Try calling the doctor yourself & finding out why. I had done that with one doctor trying to get in to see one, & the nurse told me that the doctor wouldn't even see me unless I had an MRI & x-rays. So maybe this is the case with you?? I had went to my regular doctor & had him to order me an MRI, and he did. Good luck!!

    Answer by Kristie_S at 10:48 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

  • Thank you ladies!! I am calling my MD tomorrow!!!!

    Answer by Babylove76 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

Next question in Health
bells palsy

Next question overall (Pregnancy)