babysitter question

How much do you paya babysitter per hour for 3 children when you go out on date nights?
My babysitters mom just told me that her daughter needs to be getting paid more because other people pay her $5 and hour per child. So she wants me to pay $15 per hour. I feel that is way too much i was paying her 7.50-8 an hour, am I not paying my babysitters enough?

dominique1108

Asked by dominique1108 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• My kids are 1, 3 and 4. We pay our babysitter around an average of $10 and hour. She has never told us a set rate. In fact her and I had a conversation before she sat for us a lot (she is our neighbor) and she said she doesn't really tell anyone a rate, just takes what the give her, sometimes it is a lot and sometimes it is a little, it all averages out. But anyway, our kids usually stay up when we are out, our house is clean when we get home (dishes done, toys put away) and she usually does an art project with older two. Oh, and she is 16. She is an amazing babysitter. $15 an hour is pretty crazy for a 13 year old. That is more than I got paid teaching in a daycare with a bachelor's degree. lol
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Hmmm... it depends on the age of the kids and what time y'all are out. I mean if the kids are in bed 5 bux per kid per hour is nuts. Seriously.... we pay three bux an hour per child so that is 9 an hour. The kids that need a sitter are 11, 6 and 2. I would check around for other sitters. how old is your sitter that her mom is calling you to demand more money?
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would say $3 too. That's crazy, $5 an hour.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• i wouldn't pay her anymore then if she is leaving your house trashed. plus the kids are sleeping pretty much the whole time your out.
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I haven't had to pay a babysitter in years, so I really don't know what the going rate is anymore. But $10/hour sounds more than reasonable to me.
    mamagoose524

Answer by mamagoose524 at 10:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would not pay a 13 year old $15 an hour to babysit. That is ridiculous!
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 10:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I wouldn't pay more than $10 per hour total.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• the sitter is 13 and my kids are 4,2,and 3months and they are all in bed about an hour after we leave
    dominique1108

Comment by dominique1108 (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• every time i have came home from her babysitting she has left my house pretty trashed with toys snacks and juice boxes all over
    dominique1108

Comment by dominique1108 (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2011