I have fibromyalgia???

Really? fibromyalgia? I thought that was what they told people they had when they couldnt find anything wrong with them. But I'm not a hypochondriac. I hadn't been to the Dr. in 2 years when I went in October because of terrible, constant upper back pain, and trouble sleeping. After several questions from the doctor, he told me my symptoms are very "fibromyalgic". I kind of laughed inside and took my perscription for Cymbalta and got it filled like a good patient. I then went online and Googled it. I have almost every symptom of fibromyalgia on every page I went to. The Cymbalta helps tremedously. Vicodin helps me get through especially bad days. Now that I'm convinced I have this, how do I make my husband understand what I'm going through? He thinks I should just push through the pain, but its so much more than that. I pulled up a page "Understanding Fibromyalgia" the other day and asked him to read it, and he said he would, but he never did. He just doesn't seem to want to know what I'm dealing with. There are days it takes every ounce of energy I can muster just to get out of bed. I feel so guilty but I'm not really sure why. How can I get him to understand this disorder???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Health

• I have it as well. It's not easy to get people to understand because they can't see anything wrong. Good luck.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Well, it's worth assuming that he feels the same way about it that you did. I would say you need to give him time. I have Fibromyalgia as well, and I get the same thing from people. My husband still doesn't have a clue what it is or what I'm dealing with, and I knew I had it long before we met. He can't see it, and it isn't deadly, so it's hard to understand it's really an issue.

Get yourself - and your husband - the Fibromyalgia for Dummies book and look for the Food that Helps Win the Battle Against Fibromyalgia Book as well. Both are AWESOME at both helping you (and hopefully him) understanding what Fibro is and how to better live with it. I don't do meds, I don't trust them, but diet changes have helped tremendously!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I to have it but my Dh has been very worried about me and all the symtoms I have , he goes with me to every Dr appt. has been with me for all the tests , and has even read up on Fibro. He is my rock when I am my weakest,, I hope your DH will try to understand because for me it means the world to know my hubby is there for me and to help me every way he can even if it is just cleaning the house or watching the girls so I can rest and try to dull my pain level, My mother has started to read up on it also and has been very understanding and helpful (when my DH is at work) some days are worse than others , but I like SabrinaMBowens idea and I think I will get those books myself to read, I am on lyrica and the side effects have not been nice to me and I don't like the way it makes me feel , I don't like taking meds at all and would rather help this naturally...
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 10:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2011