Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone replaced a water heater??

My water heater is 12 years old and leaking from the pipes going into the unit on the top. I am waiting for my BIL to come and take a look at it. Any personal experiences would be helpful.

Answer Question

Asked by funmomof2 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Home & Garden

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Hopefully you'll just need the pipes replaced b/c water heaters can be expensive. Do you know how long its been leaking?? If its been a while then you'll have to have the area inspected for mold. Thats a bad thing so take proper precautions when its looked at. You need to make sure that nothing is damaged. Of friend of mine had such bad mold from their HWH leaking that they had to move and have a lot of their house gutted.

    Answer by Steph319 at 4:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • they did eventually move back in though. Just be safe and have it taken care of properly! GL :)

    Answer by Steph319 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • Steph, it just started leaking today or last night while we were sleeping. I noticed today when I went down to do laundry and it wasn't leaking yesterday.

    Answer by funmomof2 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • It can flood pretty bad depending on the size of the tank, if it starts to flood worse it can turn out the pilot but the gas will still be on! So watch it and if it gets worse turn off the shut off valves usually on top and shut off the gas (unless its oil heat) Most only last 10 years and do need be replaced after that. (husbands a oil burner tech & a truck driver)

    Answer by Allysmom11 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • I hope it's not the brand "American Water Heaters". They have aweful customer service. They'll tell you that they can send you a replacement part, after you pay shipping, but that part will only work for a few days if you're lucky. They're units are whack, because they install a reversed threaded bolt on all of them - can't buy those at any hardware store.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • Dh said replace the pipe nipples leading into the water heater. They are available at Home Depot. It should be 3/4 " nipples. (Nipples are short pipes usually an inch to 4" long with threading on both ends.) Use teflon tape (blue and white container) and wrap it WITH the threads. If you wrap it wrong, it will bunch up and leak. It should go clockwise. Good luck, don't forget to turn off the water main and before changing. Do you have a water shutoff or do you need to shut it off at the street? If so you will need a "key" those are also sold at Home Depot and are on the same aisle as the pipes. Good luck, pm me if you need any more help.

    Answer by SusieD250 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • Thanks SusieD250!

    Answer by funmomof2 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

  • i am replacing mine saturday from gas to elc/ the gas is so high so i going to use everything elc ?i going to use elc heater for the winter cant aford gas be my little trailor is little so maybe be it would be good ?

    Answer by tifywify at 12:13 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Home & Garden
about cleaning

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
(TMI) but I need Help