my 4 month old fights her sleep every night HELP!!

for 3 weeks now every night around 7 she starts getting sleepy and fusy and then the "show down" begins . i rock her, play mucis, sing to her, bounce her pat her butt i try it all and then all that work and i give in and give her the bottle and she falls right to sleep, heres the problem the dr said not to let her fall asleep with a bottle it all around bad and other moms told me to do the "cry it out" method.
cry it out = put them in there crib and let them cry them selfs to sleep.

i dont how i feel about that. it kind makes me feel like a bad mom is there another way? or dose this really work?

MYA_MARIES_MOM

Asked by MYA_MARIES_MOM at 4:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would stay strong and try and let her find a way of sending her self to sleep , I would try the cry out method ,the reason being is my daughter is 2 and we are still having problems with her at night .we have got her to go to bed at bed time ,but in the middle of the night she is still waking up and nothing will settle her ,so to save the rest of the family being disturbed I give in and put her in bed with us ,something I have regretted doing ,so nip it in the bud now ,even if you sit in the room with her ,dont speak or have eye contact with her , just having you there will soothe her and each nght move closer to the door . good luck
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 4:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• she may need a later nap. My DD is also 4 months and takes 3 naps a day. I put her down around 5, and go into her room around 8.. turn the light on and start making some noise so she'll wake up on her own. Then I give her a bottle and we stay up until about 9 and she goes to bed. You have to figure out what works best for you. Maybe if you put her down around 7 when she gets sleepy and let her sleep for an hour. If she has a swing that she will sleep in, I put DD in there when I don't want her to sleep too long and that works for us.
    Good luck!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 5:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I ended up having to cry it out but I think yours is too young for that still.
    Yes, letting her fall asleep with a bottle is bad for her teeth. Well, you can slowly thin it down until it is all water. That won't hurt her teeth. Just make sure her teeth are cleaned at least twice a day.
    Also, try putting her down a half hour earlier. If she is showing sleepy signs, she is probably past the "magic window". A baby that is too tired will start to fight sleep and her system will actually flood her with adrenaline to KEEP her awake. Could you go to sleep right after someone mugs you? Neither can she. Try to get her down earlier - before her system gets that jolt of adrenaline.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• YOU DONT HAVE TO LET HER FALL ASLEEP WITHT HE BOTTLE IN HER MOUTH. WAIT UNTILL SHE IS DONE THEN PUT HER TO SLEEP. SOMETIMES A BABY JUST WANTS TO FEEL THERE MOTHERS TOUCH WHILE THERE EATING AND SLEEPING. JUST HOLD HER AND GIVE HER THE BOTTLE THEN PUT HER TO SLEEP. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SPOILEING A BABY.
    Tbabygurlcramer

Answer by Tbabygurlcramer at 5:57 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Maybe you could try rearranging her nap schedule during the day? That's what we had to do with a few of my kids.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 6:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i lay my 4 month old in her boppy pillow and let her drink her bottle either until shes done or falls asleep that way she doesnt sleep with it in her mouth but it relaxes her so she sleeps better. also i agree with the previous post try playing with her naps and maybe give her a few minutes to cry (i dont believe in crying it out) to really tire her out and then hold her tight and rock her, that works for my little one.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 6:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Is she eating the stuff from the bottle, or just sucking on it for comfort? If she's eating, then she's hungry! If you don't want her to fall asleep with the bottle in her mouth, then take it away as soon as she starts drifting off, or burp her.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• CIO has many damaging properties. Look it up online, the medical studies solely show negative effects. You feel like it is wrong because it is. There are plenty of other methods available. Why use a method that shows that it may cause damage when there are plenty out there that never carry that stigma? The No Cry Sleep Solution is an amazing book. Also there is a great group on CafeMom called CIO Alternatives. Please go research before relying on the lazy method .. uhh I mean CIO. Ignoring a child is cruel plain and simple.

Another thing to keep in the forefront is the fact that at 4 months you will start to have a restless, sleepless child due to the child just realizing the world around them. This is a normal developmental stage and it is to be celebrated not punished. Baby will soon get back to a different sleeping pattern.

Anonymous

• I'VE HAD MY HAIR RIPPED OUT, IVE BEEN PUNCHED! ITS NOT FUN..EVERY SINGLE NIGHT MY SON FIGHTS ME TILL HE FINALLY JUST PASSES OUT..I GIVE MY SON A WARM BOTTLE...IT HELPS HIM CALM DOWN BUT IT DOESNT ALWAYS WORK..SOMETIMES ITS JUST TOO MUCH AND I HAVE TO LET HIM CRY IT OUT OR I GET EXTEREMLY STRESSED OUT.THEY CRY BECAUSE THEY KNOW YOU ARE GONNA PAY ATTENTION TO THEM. MY SON IS NOW ON A ROUTINE..HE GOES INTO HIM CRIB AT 8:30-9 PM..HE GETS BOTTLE, I WIAT TILL HES DONE DRINKING, THEN I GIVE HIM A PACI AND THATS WHERE HE STAYS..MOST OF THE TIME HE FREAKS OUT..BUT I DO NOT!! TAKE HIM OUT OF THE CRIB WHEN HE CRIES.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 1:06 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• PART B:::: I RUB HIS HEAD/.BACK,AND PLAY HIS MOBILE THEN WHEN HES JUST FUSSING AND NOT CRYING I LEAVE HIM ALONE..SOONER OR LATER HE WILL FALL ASLEEP. ITS NOT CRUEL TO IGNORE THEM UNLESS THAT ARE SCREAMING/CRYING..AND YOU KNOW WHAT THAT IS..IF YOU IGNORE THEM WHEN THEY ARE JUST FUSSING THATS FINE..IT TEACHES THEM TO SOOTHE THEMSELVES..THATS MY BEST ADVICE :) GOOD LUCK
    SweetPoison