Does anyone brown meat before freezing it for later use?

I was browning some ground meat for dinner and that thought occurred to me. It seems that the most time-consuming step of making a quick, one pan dinner is browning the meat. Same goes for tacos ...

So, when you buy bulk meat, do you ever brown it before you freeze it?

JZ10FPM

Asked by JZ10FPM at 9:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I do. This is a great way to save time later on. There is no safety hazard to doing this.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• nope, i freeze it raw, it dosen't take too long to cook it
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• no, because I don't always brown the same way, I use different seasoning when I'm browning depending on what recipes, or I might make burgers.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 10:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• No, I never know what I'm going to do with it for sure, and browning doesn't take all that long.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Nah. I know people who do, but it seems kind of strange to me to thaw and cook, only to freeze again.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 1:50 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I do, but like a pp said, make sure you cook it all the way through before you freeze it.
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 1:50 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• No. It really doesn't take that long. I don't think it would come out the same.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• no. and i wouldn't recommend it unless you cook the meat all the way thru first. otherwise you risk a food born illness. i have many years experience as a cook.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 10:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Not all the time, but yes, I do. I like to have some cooked & ready to go for a quick meal - I don't always have enough pans to make it seperately so it's nice to be able to pull a container out of the freezer, heat it up in the microwave while the rest is cooking, toss it in, and serve. I don't necessarily do it associated wtih buying in bulk though - considering we get 100+ lbs of hamburger at a time, wrapped in 1-2 lbs packages.
    Anonymous