I have a three month old daughter my question is she will only sleep on her right side and her head is going flat. any advice please thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try to get her to have more belly time during the say. When my son was an infant the back of his head went flat cause he would lay on his back all the time and i started to give to him more belly time during the day and after a while that helped
    Justins_mommy05

Answer by Justins_mommy05 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I agree more tummy time during the day. Also while she is asleep (I mean really really asleep) you could try turning her head a little so it's not in the same position.
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• thank you lady's
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My daughter turned her head to the right pretty much from birth. I would switch what side she slept in the crib, switched ends on the changing table, etc. Didn't matter, she still turned to the right, but had a tilt toward the left. She had torticollis (head tilt, head turn to one side that caused plageocephaly (flat head). We did things to help and it did get better between 2 and 6 months (laid her so that she had to turn to the left to watch me, etc.) But then at 6 months she became mobile so we went ahead and got a cranial band for her and it made a big difference. She was in it for 3 months. She also had physical therapy for the torticollis for a little over 6 months. Depending how bad it is, I would definitely bring it to your pediatrician's attention.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I will also say that tummy time might help, but if she literally won't turn to the left while sleeping, you should get it checked out now while her head is still malleable. This has become more common now that we all put our babies to bed on their backs. Plagiocephaly was almost unheard of back when we were babies because we all slept on our tummies. I'd much rather risk a flat head than SIDS, though.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Keep trying to move it for her so she gets on that other side too, I wish I'd noticed it sooner, we had the same thing. Watch it carefully, keep an eye on it. If you do end up with a severe flat spot, she might end up needing a helmet. A flat spot on the back can actually change the symmetry of the facial features, i.e. eyes, etc. For times she is leaning back on her head (bouncer, etc) you could use the head pillow that has is shaped like a donut, made specifically for helping to avoid a flat spot. Just try to get her off that spot so it can take shape and not have an impact on the front of her face.

Mommy--

Answer by Mommy-- at 2:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Continued...... When using that donut pillow, just make sure she doesn't sleep on it, if she can turn over. It could be dangerous in that case. But it is really good for swings, or bouncers, etc. Look into it, to see if it might help.
    Mommy--

Answer by Mommy-- at 2:32 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Don't worry about it! Her head will round out...

Answer by rkoloms at 7:33 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• lots of tummy time and to prevent it i would let my dd fall asleep on her belly during tummy time because i was right there with her.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• 1) Do you breastfeed? I am asking because my son was the same way. I breastfed, so i just switched sides of the bed. He was hungry, so he switched sides that he slept on. I'm not sure if it would work if you bottle feed, but you could try doing the same thing only with a bottle if you bottle feed.
    2) Does your daughter have a stiff spot in her neck? My son had a stiff neck, and was always tilting his head to one side. We saw a specialist about it, and ended up giving him neck massages and exercises to tilt it the other way. He has no problems now.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 1:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2011