How do you give a 15 month old time out?

My daughter is really good most of the time.. but lately she has been climbing our coffee table and her changing table. I am afraid she is going to get hurt but nothing seems to be working to make her stop!!
So many parents say time out works best to make their child behave, but she is so little and doesn't understand you have to stay in this chair or you have to stand in this corner until mommy says you can come out. I don't want to use her crib b/c she goes to bed very easily and I don't want her thinking the crib is a bad place.
I don't like spanking, but I'm starting to think it is the only thing left to do. Right now I ask her to get down if she doesn't I count to three and if I make it to three I go and get her down and try to give her a toy to distract her. As soon as my back is turn for a second she is doing it again!! HELP!!

Anon344

Asked by Anon344 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't ever think that "spanking" is necessary, it really isn't... we are proof so far. We have 3.5 twins and have never spanked them. We are always getting compliments on how well they behave. And it has been a lot of "teaching" and showing and demonstrating behavior to them. At that young age, you are talking about, your child is too young for timeouts really, she just needs to be in a safe environment and tell her no-no and move her from unsafe things. Make it safe for her and continue to teach her what she can and cannot do. Eventually she will be old enough for timeouts and they will work. For now, be consistent over and over.
    Mommy--

Answer by Mommy-- at 2:19 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I agree, she's too young to understand the concept of a time out. All you can do is try to say NO over and over.. Think about it like house training a puppy! lol
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 10:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• she is way too little to put in time out in my opinion, (& u said yourself, she dosent understand it!). all you can really do when theyre that young is keep saying NO firmly & take her off the table or remove her from whatever shes doing that u dont want her doing.keep doing that. she should begin to understand
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 10:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• You don't, she will not understand the point. Keep moving her from the situation and tell her , NO!! in a firm voice. Her climbing is part of her development. Let her climb onto the couch and back off. She needs to learn how to climb.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• No! Dont do time outs or spanking! Especially spanking! Tell her that climbing on thses things is NOT SAFE! Use a firm voice. And every time she gets up there, take her right back down. She will start to get frustrated. Take her to the park and climb up the stairs then go down the slide!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 10:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• So I'm doing the right thing just getting her down and telling her "No". Thats good to hear it is just frustrating!! She even thinks it is a game now I think. When I see her climbing up she smiles at me and when I pull her down she laughs!! We do go to the park and she loves to climb on the slides!! But I don't want her getting hurt at home. This has been going on for two weeks and she still does it every time my back is turned. I guess I'll have to keep at it.
    Anon344

Comment by Anon344 (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I'm fine with her climbing on the couch and the bed and pretty much any soft thing in the house. LOL! It's just we have wood floors and the coffee table and changing table are wooden as well. I don't want her pulling them over on herself or falling a busting her head open.
    Anon344

Comment by Anon344 (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My son's the same-- he started trying to climb things at 14 months, and he's just better at it now at 16 months! I tried the time out thing, too, but it just wasnt' working. Now, when I catch him climbing, I firmly say "no climbing on the table" then take him to our stairs where he can climb with supervision. I also take him to the indoor gym and playground where there are lots of things for him to climb, and I tell him he can climb those things. That way, when I tell him he can't climb on something, he can begin to differentiate-- it's ok to climb this toy, but not ok to climb on tables.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I'm sorry, but it amazes me when people say "They don't understand". Yes they do, they very much do understand. However, they want what they want and are going to try to do everything they can do get it. Even if that means continuing to disobey mommy and daddy. She isn't going to just sit in time out and stay, because she wants to manipulate you into giving in. YES infants and toddlers are capable of manipulation. You have to stand your ground, follow through, and be consistant with your punishment. She's a year old, so she'll get one minute in time out. You stand her in the corner (or sit her in the chair) and say "June, you are getting a time out for climbing on the table. You're not allowed to, so you stay here for one minute." If she gets up you put her back silently and silently everytime after that. She'll eventually give in, usually with a fight, but she will. Don't give in because it doesn't work the first time.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Children, especially toddlers, can be super frustrating. They know how to manipulate, how to push mom and dad's buttons, and how to TRY to get away with what they're wanting to do. My daughter is a year old and her new thing is to climb the back of the chair to get to our end table. It doesn't matter what's up there she just likes to sit and watch TV from there. However, her climbing and her being up there is a potential danger, so I don't want her up there. When she hears me coming and she's in the midst of climbing she'll just down and smile at me "innocently". I tell her "Do not climb on the chair" and she'll just smile. Then the second I turn around she's back up there climbing, because she doesn't want to obey she wants on the table. Don't underestimate what toddlers/infants/children understand, because that's when you get stomped and lose your authority.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2011