Flying with a 2 1/2 year old..

we're flying with our 2 1/2 year old tomorrow. She's only flown once, and that was when she was 11 months, so she was considered a lap child. I was reading online that you can purchase a restraint thing, or you can use your car seat. I'm not sure if our car seat is airline approved..I'll try to include a pic, but we also have a graco nautilus car seat..which is bulky an heavy and I don't want to have to carry it around the airport from gate to gate..so is it easier to take the car seat on the plane if it is airline approved?

mom_to_kenzie

Asked by mom_to_kenzie at 10:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Travel

• I didn't take a car seat for my son any of our trips because he normally ends up in my lap or laying on 2 seats. But we have also only flown 12+ hour flights, so it was better for us not to have one.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 10:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• She's 2 1/2, so she either has to have one, or we have to purchase a harness thing
    mom_to_kenzie

Comment by mom_to_kenzie (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Is that the airline telling you that? My son has never had to have one. Anyway, if you have a layover I don't recommend carting around a carseat. It is a PITA carting around a kid let alone trying to get a carseat from one gate to the next.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It's what I found on their website.
    mom_to_kenzie

Comment by mom_to_kenzie (original poster) at 10:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I didn't know some carseats WEREN'T airline approved. If you have to take the carseat, anyway, and it's not a full flight, you'll have the option of using it, but I think I'd be one of the people who wouldn't want to mess with it. Honestly, I case of a crash, I think I'd be more comfortable with something I could get my kid out of fast!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I took my 2.5 year old on a plane and just buckled her into the plane seat.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• We just put the carseat on a luggage cart and wheeled it through the airport. When we got to security they had us put it on the conveyor to go through the x-ray and they had the cart waiting on the other side, so there was no real problem. Our little guy,2, was scared when we first got on the plane, but calmed right down when he saw that he was getting into his own car seat. I think, because it was familliar it helped him to calm down.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 11:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yeah, I have never had an issue. Maybe you should call the airline. We have done a lot of flying. And everyone I have asked has never had a problem. I know the harness you are talking about though. But I would call the airline and find out for sure if you need a carseat. It is a huge hassle!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 12:11 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I'd call the airline to see if your carseat is approved or not.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 5:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2011