postpartum hemorrhoids

What can I do for relief of postpartum hemorrhoids and how long do they normally last?

cmcook89

Asked by cmcook89 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They'll probably never actually go away completely. Witch hazel pads from the fridge helped me a lot. Well, just witch hazel pads in general helped, but the cool ones were more soothing at first. Tucks pads are nice for on the go, but I also just bought a bottle of witch hazel and some of those cotton pad things (like you can use to remove makeup, they're usually around the cotton balls) and soaked them in witch hazel and popped them in the fridge.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Oh and to keep them from becoming more inflamed with BMs, make sure you're getting enough fiber and staying hydrated.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Keep as clean as possible. Cortizone cream works well. Also ibuprofen will help with the inflamation. Hope you're feeling better soon!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My doc prescribed me an onintment that both shrinks them and numbs the pain.......awesome stuff. Witch hazel does work, but you will still be in pain for a while. And how long they last really just varies. I hope you get some relief soon!
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 11:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• That was the worst thing that I had after giving birth. Nothing else hurt on me but my hemmorrhiods. My Dr. gave me a prescription for some kind of foam to use. And then I used preperation H wipes. Mine lasted about a week. Call the Dr. and see if he can get you something!
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 11:40 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I used the Witch Hazel pads, and took stool softeners to help with "going" so I didn't stress anything more than necessary. That was one thing I was so mad that nobody warned me about.
    Gemska

Answer by Gemska at 12:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2011