When Obama had his 1st press conference as President-Elect...I was wondering what other presidents before him had done the same?

I'm just curious...because I don't remember any other president before holding a press conference and actually having a podium with a plaque reading "Office of the President Elect"???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Hmm...I dunno. What does it matter though? It was just a press conference, he's allowed to hold those.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Well, he's entering office under historic conditions. Bush's approval rating is so low that many Americans don't want to hear from him. There is an overwhelming need for the American people to hear from Obama about what his plans are for the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, the economy, the bailout package, the auto workers, the foreclosure crisis, etc, etc. Americans know at this point, Bush can do nothing. He's out of time, and he's out of confidence.

I don't recall it ever happening either, but again, these are historic times so maybe that's why he had a press conference.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 4:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Relax...caitxrawks....it was just a question...I thought it was unusual so I wondered if it had ever been done before?
    Anonymous

• im not sure to answer your question .. but i have one how is it a historical event if skin color doesnt matter? my opinion he is just another man that won the election and its bull to try to make it anything else
    Anonymous

• The one thing that really makes me doubt Obama is ... how he says he gonna bring up our economy... Him taxing people who earn over 250,000 a year and giving those who make less more tax cuts will just make it where more ppl just make enough to where are not in that percent that will be taxed a higher amount....
    mrsfarris

Answer by mrsfarris at 5:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Yes. President Clinton held his first press conference as President-elect on November 12, 1992.

Below is the link.
    http://www.tnr.com/presidentelectclintonpress.pdf
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 5:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Thanks!>bonn...I never knew...I will look it up!
    Anonymous

• Yes, they typically start holding press conferences before inauguration day. Also, it's normal for him to be publicly announcing his cabinet, being briefed on security issues, foreign affairs, etc.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 8:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• So, it is official. I am the oldest mom on CM. Yes, Clinton did it. Regan did it too. grrr....
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 10:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Madge you don't know anything. President Bush has saved your sorry a--. Have you been attacked since 9/11? Obama is the one you have to watch. He is a snake. In Illinois they call him the Chicago hoodlum.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Nov. 17, 2008