Colds/Flu during pregnancy adult content

I have this awful cough/cold. I have had it for going on two weeks now. Anyways, for the past 3 days I have not been able to eat. I tried sipping on some orange juice but ended up puking that up. When I was pregnant with dd I got a pretty bad cold towards the end, but this one feels so much worse. I am 34 almost 35 weeks along. I want to call the doc, but I don't want to make a big deal out of it. My belly hurts so bad from coughing and my whole damn body aches.

Should I call the doc or ride it out? Are there any suggestions you ladies have?

TIA

armywife009

Asked by armywife009 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Health

• I'd definitely call first thing tomorrow. You may be dehydrated and need some IV fluids to help you feel better. Feel better soon, sweetie!
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 11:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Hon, you're 35 weeks pregnant! If you need some comfort-- go get it! It's not good that you're unable to eat, and just to make sure there isn't something more serous wrong, go get checked out. Listen to your instincts-- if they tell you you should go to the doctor, then go! After all, if there's nothing wrong, and there's nothing they can do, then you're in no worse position than if you hadn't gone at all.

Take care!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I called my doc today because i woke up with a nasty cold.. I wanted to know what I could take for cold meds.. they told me if it dosent clear up in a week to call for a zpack for infection and they said if it got bad to call in before that.. yours sounds much worse then mine. I would definitly call asap.
    blue7eyed3girl

Answer by blue7eyed3girl at 11:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• adding to my previous answer... (im 21 weeks prego) forgot to add that ; ) and I hope you feel better soon!!
    blue7eyed3girl

Answer by blue7eyed3girl at 11:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• i had the stomach flu when i was pregnant with my dd, had to go to the hospital get iv fluids since i wouldnt keep anything down!
    sandjmom99

Answer by sandjmom99 at 12:43 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 7:49 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    I always make miso soup when someone is sick
    Morning miso
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

CONT.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:50 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in
    the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu.)

Answer by rkoloms at 7:51 AM on Jan. 28, 2011