Ranitidine

How do I get DS to take it? When he does take it he does great but he refuses to take it, he'd rather choke then swollow it.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 11:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used a nipple from a bottle or use a just a LITTLE bit of juice just to take away friom the flavor. Some phama will put flavoring in it, try that next time.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My daughter was put on it too when she was a month or 2 months old cause she kept spitting out formula and throwing up a little too/
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My daughter was on that for about a year. It's just the generic name for Zantac. And it's a very unpleasant thing to taste. I accidentally got some on my finger one day and decied to try it for future reference...not fun! My daughter's was flavored, too...but that didn't seem to help. Luckily, she had a g-tube at the time so we could put it throug there. However, we did try to get her to take it P/O and we never could. Right before she came off it, I called her compounding pharmacy and they told us that it could be compounded..which is where they thicken it and give it a much better flavor (she had two other meds that were comopunded). But we ended up d/c'ing it so we never had the chance to find out if that would do the trick.
    Bubbles318

Answer by Bubbles318 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• They have the "pacifier" medicine droppers at the drugstore, so they just suck on the nipple and the medicine comes out. Also, when my oldest was little and needed medicine my pediatrician told me to use a syringe to squirt it in his cheek, then blow lightly in his face - it causes babies/kids to swallow when you do that.

Answer by missanc at 10:12 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I give my son a pacifer and ease the meds in while he is sucking on it he takes it just fine that way, or mix it with 1 oz of formula
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 11:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2011