Your baby can read or hooked on phonice? PIOG

I've heard many good things about both, and I've also heard the bad. So now I'm asking you moms who may have experience with either. Which do you think really "teaches" the child to read? I keep hearing that they only teach the children to memorize. Well I don't need my children to memorize, I want them to actually learn to read. If you have no experience with either but maybe something else and would like to suggest it please do. My children are currently 3 (almost 4) and 2(almost 3. Thanks in advance.

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Flash cards and just 1 on 1 has worked best with my kids. We play word games and use the cards. All of my boys have been able to read before going to school. I think it's just silly to waste your money on some of the things offered when you can do it yourself. There websites that you can even print off worksheets and we still use those. My kids are 12, 10, 7, and 5.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 11:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Thankyou. What are the websites you've used?
    reigndrops12689

Comment by reigndrops12689 (original poster) at 11:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• tlsbooks.com, kidZone.com, preschoollearner.com There are tons of them, just type in a search engine free printable worsheets and you'll see the ones I've listed plus others. Some require you to sign up but I've never done that.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 12:13 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I misspelled worksheets! Go figure!

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 12:14 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Reading is one of those milestones you can't push - I mean you can push it, but you and your child will end up frustrated. There are certain cognitive connections that have to be made before reading is going to click. Many children simply aren't ready no matter what system or process you introduce until they are 5 or 6 years old. That's not to say you can't give them the tools to make those connections earlier or that some kids don't make those connections sooner. I have two early readers (one was 2 1/2 and the other was 3. Neither is the 'norm.') All we did was read, read, read and read some more. I read daily. My kids always picked the story and we made it a special time of cuddling. I read with different voices. Pointed to words as I said them to help make the connection between what was written and what I said. We also made up our own stories. I'd write them down as they talked to again connect spoken to written. (cont)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:00 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• If your kids already recognize letters on sight, start playing with on letter sounds. PBS Kids web site has some great phonics games. So does Scholastic's site (my kids LOVED Clifford's Letter Round-Up.) Introduce site words - we have a sight word Bingo game and a Bingo game that combines pictures with words. The cards we put our makers down on have both. The cards the caller draws are just text. Play I Spy using letter sounds as clues "I spy something that starts with the letter B. B makes a Bah, sound, Bah, bah, bah... Second clue? Ok, it ends with the letter L. L sounds like Lull, lull, lull, lull. Right! I spy the ball!" Don't forget that reading is more than just books. When we go food shopping, for example, both my kids get their own shopping list. When they were pre-readers their list was words with pictures. They found the word on the package labels. It helps make the connection. Mostly, though, just read to them.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:06 AM on Jan. 28, 2011