my sister was to get car insurance in my name. will that make me responsible for anything?

My sister's home insurance under my grandmother's name but she was not on the insurance even though she was the main and only driver. She had a wreck and could not pay to get the car fixed. So now my grandma is paying the car note and insurance for that car. My sister got a new car and wants to get her insurance in my name. Will I be responsible for anything if she has a wreck? Because she has had numerous of wrecks (all being her fault) insurance is 340.00 . Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• yes if something happens you will be responsible
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I am pretty sure you do. My mom wrecked my truck while I was out of town, and my insurance went up.
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 11:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yes, you could be...especially if you are considered an owner of the car. I wouldn't do this, it sounds like she's not a responsible driver.

ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• If she is not listed in the policy and gets into a car accident, even if its not her fault, the other persons insurance will not pay to get that car fixed. however it wont affect you unless youre the owner of the car
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• The insurance has to be in the name of the owner of the vehicle. That is who is responsible.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Of course. You are liable for everything in your name.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:18 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yes, you would definitely be responsible for certain things...Be honest and talk to your insurance company about it.

Why can't she get insurance in her own name like a responsible adult?
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 12:44 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Firstly thats incredibly illegal, Its called fronting, And both of you can go to court over it, And get points and probably a ban from driving. It is her fault for the accidents, she is just looking for a way to cheapen her insurance through someone else's name and in the process will likely affect your driving record.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:16 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Also, if something does happen and you get into trouble, there aint no insurance company that is going to want to insure you after something like this. Dont take that chance!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:50 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• is that legal? i dont know but surely youll be responsible if anything happens
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:07 AM on Jan. 28, 2011