I think my sister is going to lose her kids and i don't know what to do

Ok so first of all i want to say that my sister is an AMAZING mom she loves all 6 of her kids more than anything and she plays with them and takes great care of them but here is the problem. She is in a custody battle with her dh's ex (2 of the 6 are his kids from previous marriage) her dh's ex told the state that there home is unfit and so the court is sending someone to look at my sisters house. now its clean but VERY cluttered because she lives in a two bedroom trailer with her dh and 4-6 kids depending on the day. I am really scared because it is soooo small and cluttered looking she is going to get into trouble can anyone give me an idea of what this person will be looking for when she goes to my sisters house? Do you think my sister is doing anything wrong by having that many kids in such a small house? Oh and also i just want to explain my sis and her dh used to live in a VERY nice house and make a decent amount of money but her dh got in an accident and had to stop working and my sis couldn't find a job that would come close to what he was making. He has looked but he went from always doing manual labor jobs to now needing a desk job so he doesn't really have the resume for a "desk job" wow ok i ranted a lot lol...anyway what do you all think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• It depends ont he state. Some states mandate that there can only be X number of children per bedroom. In Arizona it's 2 kids per room. In Colorado it's 2 kids of the same gender per room (different genders must have different rooms). So if she's got 6 kids packed ina 2 bedroom it could be a problem. They don't usually care about clutter as long as there's nothing that poses a health or fire hazard tot he kids (so no rotting dishes where kids can reach, no stacks of crap blocking windows or doors, etc).

I know how scary this is... my sister DID lose her kids once because her house was really gross. She just needs to do what she can.

If the bedroom thin is a problem they don't care where parents sleep. So she and her husband can sleep in the living room and give their room to the kids if they need to, and they won't have a problem with that.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• She needs 2 smoke alarms in her home.  They don't have to be expensive, but they need to be there.  Are the kids boys or girls?  Fix the bedrooms so that the boys are in one bedroom, girls are in the other.  It doesn't matter how they actually sleep, just for looks.  PM me, I have lots of tips, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I think that if she needs to change something, they will let her know. It's not like they're just going to take them away for that. My BFF had a custody battle with her DH's ex also. The BM on the other hand, was not a good mom at all, so tried to make THEM look bad. He has 4 kids, she has 1, and they have one together. They live in a 3 bedroom house with her MIL. That's 9 people. CPS said they didn't care how many rooms were there as long as they all had their own bed to sleep in. Good luck.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 1:18 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think that she needs to do what Mrs Houston said, that is good advice.
    MelissaCarole

Answer by MelissaCarole at 5:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2011