Does anyone know how to paint an old building?

My "shed" is very old. not a prefab. it is homemade from nice lumber. it has turned black and i think it will absorb most of the paint. is there something i can put on it like a precoat? thanks

Dianakk

Asked by Dianakk at 11:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I would sand it, primer coat and good quality paint.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 8:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We have an old wooden fence that was like that. I just got a barn and fence paint from Walmart and it covered it nicely with 2-3 coats(some areas were gray and needed a little more paint)
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 12:02 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Or you could get a can of primer and just put one coat of each on it!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 2:33 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I would power wash it first. Then if you call your local home improvement store they can tell you some options you have. Our friend is in the paint dept at Home Depot. We have a wooden play structure we wanted to paint/stain. She steered us away from stains. She said power wash, then good primer and paint is better for durability. If you put Thompsons Water Seal on it (they call it waxy wash) it will need to be redone every year. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2011